Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

12-24 with Seacam superdome

Started by StephenFrink ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

12-24 with Seacam superdome

3 posts
  1. The day before I left for a combination Botswana safari and South Africa white shark shoot, I took delivery on 2 new Nikkor lenses. 24-120 VR is much sharper than the old 24-120, so I was very pleased with that one. And while the 12-24 was too wide for a lot of my safari subjects, even a brief immersion with the white sharks demonstrated the 12-24 should be awesome for UW imaging.

     

    The 12mm end is just a bit wider than a 14mm. I didn't really use the 24mm end for sharks, but can see where it would be good for fish portraits. The lens is quite sharp, and pops into AF quickly, accurately.

     

    I used a 9" superdome on a Seacam D1X housing, but think it should probably have a PVL25 extension. More experimentation in that regard needs to be done now that I am home to refine port optics.

     

    Seacam has both zoom and focus gears now.

     

    BTW ... the first Canon EOS1Ds have already left Austria via UPS. Assuming they clear customs quickly, the first batch should arrive next week.

     

    Stephen Frink

  2. Stephen -

     

    If you find any sample images from people taking a 1Ds underwater, please let us know!

  3. Stephen Frink asked me to post this image of a white shark taken with his 12-24 setup.

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.