Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

technique advice for p&s with no strobes

Started by tri4funnow ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

technique advice for p&s with no strobes

4 posts
  1. Before I drop the huge coin on a housing and strobes for my D700, I feel I need to learn a lot more...oh yeah and not live in the desert of Arizona.

     

    I am looking for general techiques that tend to improve underwater composition... Here is what I have learned so far:

     

    try to get below or eye level to the subject as it makes them look more majestic

     

    take the time to frame your shot and do your best not to rush

     

    That is about all I know beyond terra ferma photo knowledge.

     

    If you need to see what I have done so far, check http://fazworks.com and click on the Galleries tab in the upper left. I am really a rookie at this so any advice would be appreciated.

     

    I am currently using a Canon 950 IS with an Ikelite housing, no strobes.

     

    Thank you.

  2. When you think your close, get closer.

  3. When you think your close, get closer.

    So true ...

     

    ... and try and use the sun to your advantage ... keep it behind you if possible and shoot as much in shallow water as you can.

     

    I think you'll find you want a strobe (or two) ... Our eyes are much better than the sensors and it is darker down there than you think once you get past 25 feet.

  4. use manual white balance if available.

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.