Hey guys,
My tax refund is burning a hole in my pocket and my old printer is starting to choke. I'm looking at the Epson 1900. Is the Fuji pearl you recommend independent of the printer? Color or B&W? There are so many choices for paper I can see burning up a lot of money trying them out, not to mention the ink. Is there a good website you would recommend where I can go and do some research on papers? Thanks for any help, I'm a real newb at this. 
Cheers,
Steve
Get ready for another one of those fun learning curves ... I think the Fuji is real photopaper - ie light sensitive - and with a nice epson, you can print on almost anything, but with ink not light. Maybe there is an inket version ...
I think inkjets are better than lasers for reproducing underwater blues anyway. YMMV, but I softproofed a whole bunch of my U/W stuff using various output profiles - mainly comparing different printers and labs - looking for "issues". What I found was that the EPSON inkjets were WAY better at reproducing the blues from tropical water columns as compared to the Noritsu, Lightjet and other laser/light-based systems I compared. Lots of the blues were natively out of gamut for light-based devices and photo papers, but we natively in-gamut when proofed for Epson systems. Mind you, this was almost exlcusively Canon G9 footage.
People have raved about some of the new EPSON papers ... so I think that's probably not a bad place to start if you get an Epson printer. I've got an HP, and I find it is easiest to get good results using HP's nicest paper. I've used other stuff like Ilford and Epson papers in the past, but it was much harder to get right. I don't custom profile my printer - but I have a 'generic' profile for my printer + HP paper combo from someone else ... it is close enough. Like monitor profiling, print profiling is worthwhile if you want to keep the surprises to a minimum. A wide gamut monitor for soft-proofing also helps ... the new HP 2475w is a very affordable option there ... I currently use a calibrated wide-gamut LCD HDTV for softproofing, but I'm planning on getting one of the HPs this summer.
I haven't watched it yet, but I just bought the Luminous Landscape's "From Camera to Print" video tutorial ... might want to look at that too ...
Printing at home is expensive, but very satisfying. I spray mount lots of home prints of all sizes on foamcore and hang them all over the place with the sticky blue stuff.