Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Camera and Case now what? who to go with? and more.

Started by fire5man ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Camera and Case now what? who to go with? and more.

4 posts
  1. I just picked up a Olympus Stylus 1010 on a good sale and found that the underwater cases were sold out though out the US. I found a PT-042 case at a dive shop over seas. Ordered shipped and delivered. So far so good.

     

    Now I know there are many options for mounting a strobe. The accessory shoe or a tray seam to be my best options here I am guessing from my reading on the net. I have done some reading through out this forum and have seen very good reasons to use a flash other then the one mounted in the camera. Olympus sells a strobe (UFL-1 Underwater Strobe) and I wonder if that's what I should go with. It runs from $220-$250 or are there better strobes out there?

     

    How about mounting. One of my dive buddies has a tray that has a strobe on one side and a focus light on the other. Is that the way to go?

     

    Also how does this camera talk to the strobe with out wires. This I am having trouble understanding since I cant find the owners manual at this time.

     

    I am hoping to get this camera outfitted as to have the change to take the up coming underwater photography class offered at my local dive shop, however no one who works there seams to be big or very interested in photography except the photo instructor that only works to teach that class. So I am lacking advice.

     

    If you have any suggestions on additions to make to my set up I would be very great full. Any photographs of your set up to give me a reference to relate your advice from would be very helpful as I am very much a visual learner.

     

    Thanks for the help.

  2. The strobe will work as a slave: when the 1010's internal flash fires, the external strobe reacts to it. The top-end of slave strobes, which need to ignore any pre-flashes from the internal light, is probably the Inon D-2000, or the Z-240, which also works with D-SLRs. They do need a bracket and an arm.

     

    :P

     

    Ikelite and Sea & Sea also make specialist strobes, but I'm not familiar with their approach to the preflash problem.

     

    Tim

     

    :)

  3. Ikelite and Sea & Sea also make specialist strobes, but I'm not familiar with their approach to the preflash problem.

    Tim

     

    Ikelite DS-160 can be adjusted to ignore preflash or not.

     

    Regards

    Karel

  4. Time and Karel,

     

    Thanks for the good info. I have a D-SLR but right now I wanted to start out small and a little cheaper.

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.