Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Oly 5050 - chromatic abberation?

Started by Genesis ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Oly 5050 - chromatic abberation?

2 posts
  1. I'm trying to make some decisions here on a new digicam, and I've got some issues...

     

    The reviews I've read on the 5050 aren't THAT complimentary on the image quality. Issues with chromatic abberation in particular are not too cool, and also the noise at low ISO levels is kinda a PITA.

     

    Oly now has the waterresistant "Stylus 400" out, which is a nice POCKETABLE digicam, and apparently there is a housing for it as well.

     

    It has a slower lens, and probably no slave strobe capabiltiy at all, not to mention using xD cards rather than CF, BUT it could serve me as a nice "point a dlick" land-side camera as well as an underwater thing.

     

    Anyway, the questions are thus...

     

    1. Does the chromatic abberation bother anyone on the 5050, particularly in underwater use? Is the internal strobe good enough for anything, or am I immediately looking at a NEED for an external?

     

    2. Anyone use the Stylus 400 underwater yet? Is it usable at all?

     

    Thoughts? Do I just need to bite the bullet and go for a digital SLR to get around these problems, and buy a Stylus for "point and click" land use?

     

    (My background includes semi-pro REAL SLR use with film, so I'm pretty picky on photo quality.... a former Oly camera many years ago let me down bigtime. I have a Nikon coolpix now, but its an older one and the only housing available is from Ikelite and they want $900 for the thing! Ouch!)

  2. I think that it would be pretty rare for CA to be a factor in u/w photography. I wouldn't worry about it.

     

    Also, the C-5050z and the PT-015 work quite well with just the internal flash. This applies especially to macro photographs.

     

    Obviously, if you take photographs through water with a lot of suspended particles, the closeness of the internal flash to the lens will result in some backscatter. But the internal flash works well enough that you can use that as a starting point and then you can decide on external strobes later.

     

    I would go with the 5050/PT-015 option, it is a nice u/w setup and the PT-015 is quite cheap now.

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.