Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Fish from Lembeh

Started by BrianM ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Fish from Lembeh

3 posts
  1. When I first spotted this small (3 inches) fish, I thought it was dead, as it was just laying on top of the sand in a shallow 5 metres depth.

    It certainly wasn't camouflaged and stood out quite a lot. When I got very close for the macro shots it moved slightly, then eventually tried to cover itself with sand. I thought perhaps it may be some kind of juvenile flounder or even a flathead, because it has eye tassels like those of a crocodile flathead.

    I'm curious to know what it is and if anyone has an ID for it.

     

    Pretending to be dead?

    3421101598_1a252a1da8_o.jpg

     

    Eye tassels like those of a crocodile flathead.

    3421101652_4827f5178c_o.jpg

     

    Doesn't like my attention and covers itself with sand.

    3421101714_a442a7a53e_o.jpg

     

    Thanks for looking

    Edited by BrianM
  2. It's a sole or flounder. Very striking. They're not eye tassels, but nostrils. Can't find any left eye flounder that matches, though, sorry.

     

    Cheers,

    Marli

    Edited by scubamarli
  3. Tony Wu found a similar fish recently in Lembeh and like me he's searching for an ID

     

    Here's the link to Tony's Photo

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.