Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Odd creatures on a sponge

Started by JDeighton ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Odd creatures on a sponge

6 posts
  1. Saw these guys on a sponge while diving in Grand Cayman last week - anyone know what they are? They were about 2-3mm long.

     

    In context

    3423038182_5ed190b414.jpg

     

    Close up:

    3422233303_755c1b333b.jpg

     

    Thanks, James.

  2. Did they move? Any sign of legs? Were they attached to the sponge?

  3. Did they move? Any sign of legs? Were they attached to the sponge?

     

    I didn't see them move, and I couldn't see any visible legs - they did appear to be attached to the sponge, but I wasn't poking at them, so can't be 100% sure.

  4. I suspect they're young (= small) tunicates colonies. In your close up I can see what looks like the individual siphons. If they are tunicates in time the colonies will spread & cover most of the sponge.

  5. I suspect they're young (= small) tunicates colonies. In your close up I can see what looks like the individual siphons. If they are tunicates in time the colonies will spread & cover most of the sponge.

     

    I'll have to see if I can find that sponge again next year and see how it's doing!

     

    Thanks for your input.

     

    James.

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.