Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Flooded G10, any suggestions before I dispose of it?

Started by JDeighton ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Flooded G10, any suggestions before I dispose of it?

8 posts
  1. Well it had to happen one day, I flooded a camera last week down in Cayman :P

     

    First time I've flooded one in about 5 years, but it had to be the almost brand new G10 didn't it? Used it OK on 2 dives and in the pool on day 1. Day 2, had it passed to me in the water at the start of the second dive and by the time I got to the front of the boat (on the surface), it was half full of water. Got it straight back onto the boat, out of the housing, battery removed and dried it off.

     

    O-ring looked OK, no tears or twists - housing not cracked, can only put it down to user error and not checking closely enough before getting into the water. Housing seems watertight, have tested it since the fateful incident.

     

    Current status is that of a paperweight - refuses to power on with a new/fresh battery. Has been left to dry for a week now, no obvious corrosion on any of the visible areas.

     

    Anyone got any last-minute bright ideas to try before I consign it to the trash?

     

    Cheers, James.

  2. Salt water is a pretty good conductor. There's not much chance it can be fixed for less than a new one costs.

     

    I recommend putting it eBay, though. Fully disclose the nature of the damage and that it's completely dead. Somebody will probably buy it for parts, regardless. People are weird.

  3. Well it had to happen one day, I flooded a camera last week down in Cayman :P

     

    First time I've flooded one in about 5 years, but it had to be the almost brand new G10 didn't it? Used it OK on 2 dives and in the pool on day 1. Day 2, had it passed to me in the water at the start of the second dive and by the time I got to the front of the boat (on the surface), it was half full of water. Got it straight back onto the boat, out of the housing, battery removed and dried it off.

     

    O-ring looked OK, no tears or twists - housing not cracked, can only put it down to user error and not checking closely enough before getting into the water. Housing seems watertight, have tested it since the fateful incident.

     

    Current status is that of a paperweight - refuses to power on with a new/fresh battery. Has been left to dry for a week now, no obvious corrosion on any of the visible areas.

     

    Anyone got any last-minute bright ideas to try before I consign it to the trash?

     

    Cheers, James.

     

    here's a strange but true story.

     

    my friend flooded her Canon A95, and couldnt turn it on. she did the unthinkable - rinsed it under the tap!

     

    3 days later, it was working fine.

     

    perhaps as a last resort?

    ((=

  4. . she did the unthinkable - rinsed it under the tap!

     

    3 days later, it was working fine.

    ((=

     

    Thats extactly what I did to my last G9!!!

    I waited for 3-4 days for it to possibly work after drying it out in the sun, got nothing, so thought I got nowt to lose I'll give it a good swill to get the salt particles out, really gave it a proper flooding this time, then I shook it vigourously as much as I could to get any water out for a few times, then left it out in the sun for a bit, then set a hair dryer onto it, after a couple of days l put the battery back in and it was showing signs of life!! The LCD screen wasnt showing correctly as I also thought the lens wasnt picking up light correctly yet but it was all a big improvement on nothing, I then left it for a couple of more days then tried it again and voila! it worked ok, sadly my select button somehow never came back to life and not all the scenes worked, but I still managed to get some more photos out of it from my holiday, when I got home I then left it to the hands of my contents insurance..who paid out in full...if they never plan B was to sell it on eBay, I've noticed theres quite a few selling there as spares or repair for a pretty good price and also noticed that there's dealers on there selling refurbished camera, so food for them I would have thought...good luck!

    Woody

  5. if it's already dead, not much you do can make it worse. even if it is dry the salt in it as others have said is going to be a killer/corroder.

     

    flood it good in fresh (distilled if possible, tap if not) water, swishing good. might even go as far as a little rubbing alcohol mixed in with the water to help cut the surface tension. think of it like rinsing off your housing after you've let salt crust on it vs. just dipping to PREVENT salt crusting.

     

    let dry as good as possible out of direct sunlight or heat, in an indoor low humidity environment. then put it in a big ziplock with a cup of DRY rice or something to act as a dessicant and leave it a good week.

     

    all the above is with no battery or memory card in it, of course. if after all that it doesn't work, go the ebay or round file route.

    Edited by rtrski
  6. Even if you soak it and dry it and it works, you will not know for how long, and would never want to take it on a dive, so really it would be no more useful than if it were dead. I would trash it. I suppose you could sell it on ebay in case someone wants it for parts, but personally, I would worry that some less-than-honest person would then try to resell it to someone else fraudulently.

     

    Could it have flooded in a rinse tank before it was handed to you? I haven't had a flood so I don't know, but it seems odd to have been that wet by the time you got to the bow while still on the surface.

     

    Sorry this happened. What housing?

  7. ...

     

    Could it have flooded in a rinse tank before it was handed to you? I haven't had a flood so I don't know, but it seems odd to have been that wet by the time you got to the bow while still on the surface.

     

    Sorry this happened. What housing?

     

    I think it was dry when it was handed down to me from the boat, I remember waking up the screen before swimming to the front of the boat, where I then noticed the camera had restarted and was prompting me to reset the date/time. That's when I headed back to the boat with it.

     

    It was a Canon housing - worked fine in the pool when I re-tested it later (without the camera!).

  8. So sorry. I'm guessing a bit of hair or lint that has since gone away.

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.