Huge MPA established off the coast of Ecuador. I remember seeing Eric Cheng posting pics from one of the fishing ports there, sharks, tuna and every thing else laying on the stones.
This is huge.
Read-only discussion
Huge MPA established off the coast of Ecuador. I remember seeing Eric Cheng posting pics from one of the fishing ports there, sharks, tuna and every thing else laying on the stones.
This is huge.
It's too bad the whole thing won't be a no-take zone. Sounds like fishing will continue, but will be monitored and regulated. I just hope they have the capability to do so....
The designation of the reserve will require scientists, local communities, conservation organizations and government authorities to work together to plan the area’s management.
They’ll cooperate to designate no-take fishing zones, fishing quotas and establish minimum size requirements for fish and shellfish before they can be taken out of the sea. They’ll also collaborate on how to use less destructive fishing gear and manage tourism in the reserve.
You're right, enforcement is always the weakest link in these projects, but with NC involved, it should be better than average.
There will be some no-take areas cordoned off though; it's that way with most MPAs in the US too. You rarely get a whole no-take area and frankly even a small percentage as no-take will help fish species. Of course, sharks and marine mammals probably need larger areas, but this is a positive start.
Yes, let's hope enforcement can commence in a consistent manner.
Thanks for posting Scubaskeeter!
Best Carol
I love the lyrics of the conservation song (I can't access - This video is not available in your country) ![]()
"I’ve put my shirt on
Today the sea’s in peril
There’s a pain in my soul
We need to be more careful
The dorsal fins taken to China
The sea cucumbers gone to Japan
Far away they’re filling up
My table bare since it began"
I know a few of the guys from Nazca, and really you couldn't wish to meet a more dedicated crew of marine
biologists. I'm hoping to start work on a film project with them soon to highlight the life in the new marine reserve.
There really is some great diving on the Ecuadorean coast, and it has long been a bugbear of mine that
galapagos gets all the attention whilst the mainland coast suffers in darkness. lets hope this project will
be a success.
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.