Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Wet lens

Started by Ron Boyes ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Wet lens

9 posts
  1. Hi Guys,

     

    During my last trip I flooded my D100 and 70-180 lens - I am now a wiser and poorer person.

     

    I have replaced both items now and added a 12-24mm lens (purchased last week in Singapore) these are hard to find.

     

    I am considering getting a wet lens to use with the macro lens - is anyone using them and what are your thoughts/recommendations etc.

     

    thanks

    ron

  2. poor guy ;) !

     

    Can you provide more details on the flooding? What happened, which housing? SUBAL?

  3. I am very sorry to hear that, Ron. Bad luck. We've all been there and it is a horrible thing.

     

    Wet lenses work very well. With the 105mm macro, so I imagine will be fine with the zoom. Will help to reduce the minimum focus distance which will be a big help with a longer lens.

     

    Alex

  4. Guys, I'm lost here! What is a wet lens?

  5. Guys, I'm lost here!  What is a wet lens?

    one that has been flooded! ;)

  6. Hi Guys,

     

    Thanks for the sympathy.

    It was a Subal housing and my fault - was distracted when closing the back.

    It was flooded in the rinse tank prior to a dive - tried to save it and the 70-180 lens. The body is bin material and was replaced under insurance. The lens is being repaired and the cost estimate is US$600.

     

    I bought a new 70-180 when I was in Singapore last week to use as a back up - they are becoming very hard to find - I paid a little under US$1,000 for it.

     

    Now that I am back in action I shall be in Milne Bay PNG (macro heaven) next month for a 10 day liveabord on MV Chertan and will try the 12-24mm on the Mantas.

     

    I want to use the wet lens for pigmy seahorses and mandrian fish, any tips you can offer for these size critters? I shall be using D100, 70-180mm and SB80DX.

     

    I was pretty happy with the images I got using a CP5000 when I was there a couple of months back.

     

    Thanks

    ron

  7. The 70-180 with a diopter will be a great lens for shooting mardarinfish and pygmey seahorses. I'd recommend using a +1 (or the ~+1.5 Nikon diopter that Craig uses) diopter on the lens thread to help bring the working distance in and the magnification up.

     

    With that setup, you can shoot a mandarinfish at the 70mm end and a pygmey seahorse at the 180mm end. The pygmey still won't quite fill the frame though.

     

    HTH

    James

  8. Hello,

     

    I picked up the "Woody's Diopter" a few weeks ago for use with the Ikelite flat port. I used it with the 60mm and it worked very well. I was wondering if the minimum focussing distance would be too close for proper strobe placement, but this was not the case. I think it would work better with the 105mm but I didn't use it due to poor lighting that day.

     

    I also really like the versatility of taking it on and off underwater. Reminded me of days past with the motormarine II.

     

    John

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.