Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Removing Blue cast

Started by Osprey ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Removing Blue cast

4 posts
  1. I have followed (to best of my ability) the pretty extensive tutorial on this site

    http://wetpixel.com/i.php/full/getting-rid...derwater-blues/

     

    As a result I have made big improvements to some pictures by use of LAB mode, which I had never used before.

     

    However as this article was written in 2004, and Photoshop has evolved (considerably) is there any updated or newer article or sequence of steps anyone can advise ?

     

    I will admit to being a happy snapper underwater rather than diving just to take pictures, kit is simple ... a Fuji F31fd, and when possible I use manual white balance to get things as good as I can to start with (not allways in practise though)

     

    I have a good PC and CS3 ... but lack the experience in using them.

     

    Any links to tip or articles appreciated.

  2. Here's another method and a tutorial I wrote ... works well and is quite easy:

     

    http://www.jeremypayne.net/2008/07/getting...underwater.html

     

    Let me/us know how it goes!

     

    Thanks for this, it looks interesting, I'll give it a go tonight.

     

    My current steps are:

     

    1. Crop image as necessary

     

    2. Levels - adjust individual R,G,B histograms

    sometimes setting white & black if appropriste to image

     

    3. Apply Auto Contrast

     

    4. Apply Auto Colour

    If this does not work, I undo and try the Underwater .atn script

    If this does not work - undo, try and compensate using Colour Curves

    If this does not work - recently tried converting to LAB and adjusting curves.

     

    5. Create a new layer, Sharpen using Hi Pass filter, tweaking slider to just below point any colour comes into image, and then use Overlay to apply

     

    6. Check levels again ...

     

    Done.

     

     

    Be interested in your view (anmd anybody else) on my sequence, and will try incorporatin your steps in my sequence.

     

    Most of my images are JPEG, my new camera doe snot have RAW capability.

  3. Jeremy,

    Thanks for re-posting your link. When you posted it before, I did not have PS4. Since having it, I had forgotten your article. Now I have it and will try to work with it this weekend.

    Dave

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.