Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Canon s300 w/Ikelite DS50, manual or auto sensor?

Started by Val ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon s300 w/Ikelite DS50, manual or auto sensor?

4 posts
  1. Hello,

     

    I have a Canon Digital Elph s300 camera with a Canon s100(?) underwater housing and I am in the process of ordering a Ikelite DS50 strobe package. The sales person that I am dealing with recommended using a manual sensor instead of the wireless TTL slave, because he said that his experience in general (not with the s300) was that the auto sensing was inaccurate (a camera issue not a DS50 issue) and it was easier to adjust the intensity of the manual sensor than the intensity of the wireless TTL slave. Adjusting intensity for the manual sensor is just a matter of turning a knob on the strobe itself, whereas adjusting instensity for the wireless TTL slave means bringing up a menu on the camera itself and changing f-stop and/or film speed.

     

    I like simplicity, and therefore am inclined towards the wireless TTL slave. My question is, has anyone out there tried and had good sucess with a Canon s300/DS50 with a TTL wireless slave, or is the recommendation to go manual?

     

    Thanks,

    Ed

  2. Excellent. Thanks! ;)

  3. Manual or TTL ...

     

    I think there is a list of cameras that support TTL flash. You should check that out too. Your camera may not support TTL flash and then there is no need for TTL strobe.

     

    Vlad

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.