Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

2 Wetsuits

Started by scubaseven ·

  • 19Posts
  • 19Replies

Read-only discussion

2 Wetsuits

19 posts
  1. Wondering if you wore a 3mm shorty under a 7mm wetsuit would that give you a lot of extra warmth or would the two somehow cancel each other out?

    cheers

  2. Your biggest worry is mobility and cutting off circulation by combining them. The added mil factor would keep you warmer if fitted properly. Most folks I know where a shorty over a 7 mil for added warmth.

  3. It would definitely help with warmth. I frequently wear a 3mm shorty under a 3 or 5mm surf suit. Which is on the outside makes no difference.

    Edited by jcclink
  4. I've done a 3/2 full under a 2/2 shorty, and I 'survived' a dive in 70 degree water. But I didn't enjoy it. The same conditions in a 5/4 wetsuit were much more comfortable.

     

    It will give you some benefit, but as others have said the fit can be constricting.

  5. Layering is always best in cold weather gear. After drysuits of course.

     

    I typically bring a suit of what I believe will be the appropriate thickness for the conditions I expect to encounter. I then bring a vest or shorty designed to use with that suit in case the suit is not warm enough.

  6. Cheers all

    Have not tried the 2 on at the same time yet, but will to see about the comfort factor

    I tend to get a bit cold.

    But I do have thicker boots, hood and gloves now too.

    But the movement with a camera is probable going to be the main issue.

    thank you.

  7. Wondering if you wore a 3mm shorty under a 7mm wetsuit would that give you a lot of extra warmth or would the two somehow cancel each other out?

    cheers

    for sure keep you warmer. couldnt move well though :(

  8. for sure keep you warmer. couldnt move well though :(

     

    I tried the two on topside and it was not too bad

    The 3mm seems very thin, or maybe just compared to the 7mm

    So will try this weekend in Cape Town and see how it goes

    Cheers

  9. Today's super stretch neoprene material (vs basic old fashioned neoprene) provides a more comfortable suit, but will permanently compress over time. It's not as warm when this happens. I start the year with a new 5mm surf suit & end up with a 3mm due to compression. This requires also wearing a shorty or vest to maintain a comfortable body temp. I've never noticed that extra layers limit my mobility, maybe in part because all these layers keep getting thinner & thinner.

    Edited by jcclink
  10. jcclink

     

    cheers

    going out tomorrow so will let you know what I think

  11. Why not invest in a 5mm semi-dry plus a hood.

     

    Hood can make a great difference to the comfort level as a lot of heat is lost via the head

  12. I like a hooded vest, Henderson Hyper Stretch is the best I have found so far.

  13. Rather than wearing a shorty over a steamer, a base layer is better. Choose either a Henderson Polyolefin diveskin or better is an OThree 2mm Deepskin.

  14. I would think that if you are able to wear a 3mm shorty under a 7mm and not feel very uncomfortable then, the problem, is that your 7mm is not your size so go ahead and try it with the shorty.

  15. And if it's still cold you may always add 1mm neoprene 't-shirt' - it slows down the water circulation close to the body adding some thermal comfort and do not limit the flexibility under water!

    M

  16. My 11 year old son wears one of those tee shirts; a 0.5mm open cell OThree Tech Vest under his 2mm open cell Short John which he tops with a 4/5 mm hybrid semi dry complete with a hydrolock baffle. He gets out after an hour almost completely dry...

  17. All true, but if 7mm isn't enough it sounds to me like dry-suit diving!

     

    Tim

     

    :)

  18. thanks peoples

    some good tips

    the water in false bay late april was just 10* so I think 2 suits helped, plus hood etc.

    found the socks made a difference also.

    dived for 2 months in 15* water and it was bearable for about 50 minutes (pity we had to do two 90mins dives)

    the water in oz is 12* min in a freshwater lake, but mostly 16* so was not ready for 10*

    dived there two days ago and it was back to 14*

    even the drysuit guys were cold though.

    cheers all

    7

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.