Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Traveling via air with housing.

Started by scubaseven ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Traveling via air with housing.

4 posts
  1. Hi.

    I have been told to carry on my housing (which I will do) and put the camera inside.

    The manufacturer says not to put the camera inside.

    Any help?

    Seems if you remove the o-ring and maybe port there should be no real problems as long as you are careful.

    Cheers

  2. Depends on the housing.

     

    First, definitely remove the o-ring. That way any pressure differential inside the case (plane cabins aren't pressurized to 'sea level' in most cases, and if you have to check baggage obviously pressure is even lower in the compartment) won't push the o-ring out of the seal and risk damaging or stretching it.

     

    As for the camera inside the case - for point and shoot it's probably not horrible as the OEM cases are pretty form-fitting. Although with the o-ring removed there might be a bit of rattle. For DSLR's its usually not recommended since they 'screw' to a tray base with the tripod mount threading, and having that suspended inside your case may or may not be sufficient support for the weight of the camera in case of a dropped bag.

     

    I usually 'pack' as much stuff as I can gently fit 'inside' the housing - ziplocks with o-rings and spare o-ring grease, zoom gears and the like - so the hollow interior space isn't totally wasted volume inside my checked bag. But I don't put the camera in it.

  3. I would not put my DSLR inside the housing while traveling - air or overland. As rtrski has mentioned, the support is minimal and there is also the risk of undue stress on the control buttons.

  4. Its a video camera but the advice makes sense.

    Only the one screw for support.

    Cheers.

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.