Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

My First Underwater Shoot (Video)

Started by reid82 ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

My First Underwater Shoot (Video)

5 posts
  1. Hi Guys,

     

    New to the forum, and new to the word of underwater photography.

     

    Just thought I'd share my first efforts while diving off the Coral Coast in Fiji this Easter. I was trying out my new Canon G10 with it's new WP-DC28 housing and immediately realized just how important a strobe was, especially once you head below 10-15 meters.

     

    Anyway, I wasn't too pleased with the photo results initially - so very blue and little contrast. The videos were even worse. But after reading up on a couple of blogs, I was able to adjust some of the photos in Photoshop and really surprised myself with the results.

     

    Last night I also ran the videos through the same sort of adjustments in Photoshop (now a user action) and again, was extremely happy with the results... There was detail in the picture I never knew was there.

     

    I have so much to learn and can't wait to get back in the water (with a new strobe setup) and lot more patience... But at least I have something to show.

     

    Would love your feedback.

     

    Cheers,

    Reid

     

    Videos (and Photos):

    More Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/reidbates/set...57617084057548/

     

    3459399184_aff4849e66.jpg

    3459402012_c2997d7c39.jpg

    3459406520_739e197204.jpg

    3458594729_c359234519.jpg

    3459402812_0dc53917e0.jpg[/

    Edited by reid82
  2. Hello Reid and welcome.

     

    Watched your clip, well done.

    How did you fix up the video clips in Photoshop?

    The clips looked abit jerky, maybe because of youtube, are the raw clips smoother and or did you have your camera set on 30fps for the VGA video mode

     

    You will find lots of information on video stuff if you use the search function in this forum as many underwater video stuff have been discussed here before.

    Feel free to ask us stuff if you cannot find what you are looking for.

  3. Pretty cool shots man!

     

    Are you shooting RAW? It'll give you a lot more room to work with when it comes to things like changing colour balance in post.

  4. Hi Reid,

    The only thing that I would like to suggest at this point in time is - Composition.

    Get closer, when you think that you are close enough, you actually aren't, move in closer.

    For some strange reason, viewfinders and LCD monitors tend to give a false impression.

    Fill your monitor/viewfinder up with your main subject and I'm sure that you will be surprised with the results...

    Bruce

  5. An external filter will help with the colors. Ikelite makes several different sizes. Should be able to find one to fit your port.

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.