Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Adding an wideangel lens to a Canon S40??

Started by Soeren_Dk ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Adding an wideangel lens to a Canon S40??

6 posts
  1. Hello group,

    I own a Canon S40 and WDPC300 housing and I've thinking about getting Sea & Sea's adapter for the Motor Marine II lenses and an wideangel lens. I'm not to sure this is a good idea - got some questions, hopefully someone can give me answers. Thanks in advance.

     

    Will my autofocus work if I attach an extra lens?

    Will I benefit from getting a uw filter as well?

    Does anybody have a similar configuration and experience in using it?

    Can I use the camera without a lens after I attach the adapter - or do I need additional lenses?

    Any other comments on this kind of configuration?

     

    Best Regards,

    Soeren Jensen

     

    Aquashots.dk - my online gallery !

  2. Hello,

     

    I have an S50 with a WDP300 housing

    I don't have an adapter for new lens/filter but here are the answers to your questions:

     

    Will my autofocus work if I attach an extra lens?

    >>>>>YES. The lens is not doing anyhting on the auto focus.

    Here it is how AF works:

    1) camera sends a beem of light (low light conditions) to the object you shoot (of course it depends where is your focus set to be measured: centred, evaluative ...)

    2) with the light on, the firmware in the camera takes the highes contrast difference in the frame and starts adjusting the focus on that until the contrast "line" is sharp

    3) turn off the light

    4) take picture.

     

     

    Will I benefit from getting a uw filter as well?

    >>>>>>I think it depends. There was a tutorial last week or so about using ambient light and filters on shallow dives. Great tutorial. Read it!

    My opinion about filters is that if you use a strobe ... don't bother. If you don't you should use filters.

     

     

    Can I use the camera without a lens after I attach the adapter - or do I need additional lenses?

    >>>>I think you can. You have to see if it vignettes at all but I don't think so since it doesn't with the lens.

     

    Any other comments on this kind of configuration?

    >>>I looked at your pictures on your website. I don't think you are using a strobe.

    My advice: get a strobe

     

    Vlad

  3. Hi Vlad,

    Thanks for your reply to my post. You're right, most of the pictures on my website is taken without a strobe. I have purchased a strobe now (The Sea & Sea YS25DX) and pictures from april uptil now is taken using the strobe. On the AF matter which is preferred to use evaluative or centered? I think my camera uses evaluative as default.

     

    Thanks again and best regards,

     

    Soeren Jensen

    AquaShots.dk

  4. More info and more questions...

     

    First the information

    I found 5 options for WA:

    - Sea & Sea MM2 WCL16-II/ WCL20-II Wide Conversion Lens + Sea & Sea Bayonet Adapter 38101

    - Sea & Sea Wide Conversion Lens x0.56, 67mm or 48mm filter thread.

    - Epoque DCL-20, 67mm or 46mm filter thread.

    - Inon UWL 165 AD + mount base

    - Olympus PWC-01

     

    Then few questions:

    - Is there some adapter from the WP-DC300 housing to some standard filter size (48/67)?

    - Does anyone have good/bad experience with one (or more) of the accesories?

    - Is it possible to get the Sea & Sea Bayonet Adapter 38101?

  5. As far as I know the Sea & Sea MMII Adapter is out of Production. I wasn't able to get one.

     

     

    Simon

  6. As far as I know the Sea & Sea MMII Adapter is out of Production. I wasn't able to get one.

     

    I just got an email from cameras-underwater that said it will not be available until September, hope its means that it will be available in a month.

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.