Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Deep Wreck Photography - 100m+

Started by GLOC ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Deep Wreck Photography - 100m+

7 posts
  1. Hi all,

     

    I doing quite a lot of deeper wreck photography (45-60m) in the UK and I have an upcoming project in the Med with a depth of around 110m.

     

    I shoot with a D200 inside a Hugyfot housing and have spoken to Pascal who said I can upgrade the housing to 150m by increasing the strength of the springs which can be done here in the UK via Divelife (new distributor in the UK).

     

    I use 2 x strobes (1 x DS125 and 1 x SS200) on LocLine arms and have emailed Ike about the test depth ratings for the strobes. They replied and said that the strobes are tested to their rated depth and no deeper. Personally I would have thought that they were tested a bit deeper to take into account dynamic pressures but that is what he says.

     

    So, has anyone taken a DS125 or SS200 deeper than 90m? If so, what happened?

     

    Thanks

  2. Is it possible to find out the design safety factor for your housing & strobes. Units may be tested to rated (published) depth, but structural failure will actually occur at greater pressure. This information would be useful in determining the absolute maximum depth that you would want to dive the system.

  3. Is it possible to find out the design safety factor for your housing & strobes. Units may be tested to rated (published) depth, but structural failure will actually occur at greater pressure. This information would be useful in determining the absolute maximum depth that you would want to dive the system.

    I am happy with the answer from Hugyfot, the housing is physically tested to 150m and the limiting factor for the 100m rating is the return of the push-buttons on the housing, hence the option to increase their strength and get a deeper rating.

     

    Regarding your comment above, this is pretty much how I phrased the question to Ikelite but their reply was

     

    We do not test the strobes past their rated depths. Thanks for the inquiry.

     

    So I have replied asking about whether they test to static or dynamic pressures. I personally think the former but it provides no additional 'safety' margin if the camera is moving around at depth. I have also asked what the failure points are.

     

    Thanks

  4. Hiya Gareth,

     

    Hope you're well and my upmost congrats on the mega impressive extreme ironing total. HUGE respect!

     

    I can't offer you any advice on your posting other than suggest you may wish to contact Leigh Bishop who will have 'got the tee shirt and the video'...

     

    Take care and have an awesome deep one or two. Hoping to catch up with you again soon somewhere wet... Tim

  5. Thanks Tim.

     

    Email already sent there!

     

    Regards

  6. Hi all,

     

    I doing quite a lot of deeper wreck photography (45-60m) in the UK and I have an upcoming project in the Med with a depth of around 110m.

     

    I shoot with a D200 inside a Hugyfot housing and have spoken to Pascal who said I can upgrade the housing to 150m by increasing the strength of the springs which can be done here in the UK via Divelife (new distributor in the UK).

     

    I use 2 x strobes (1 x DS125 and 1 x SS200) on LocLine arms and have emailed Ike about the test depth ratings for the strobes. They replied and said that the strobes are tested to their rated depth and no deeper. Personally I would have thought that they were tested a bit deeper to take into account dynamic pressures but that is what he says.

     

    So, has anyone taken a DS125 or SS200 deeper than 90m? If so, what happened?

     

    Thanks

     

     

    Mark Ellyat has some insights on this too. You can probably find him via YD.: He used to post as MarkLE8

  7. What happens if a strobe/housing etc cracks underwater at extreme depth (100m) ? do they implode?

     

    Cal

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.