Not so long ago, when first converting to digital image gathering and aware of my ignorance, I asked a lot of people about it. I was later amazed at the number of people who had their credibility invested in mis-information. Paul Kay was the exception. I'm still not an expert but I know how to produce a file that reproduces in web-offset. (It's a pity that computers allow so many people who should know better to tamper in areas they don't understand, so often before it gets to the printer.)
It still goes on.
My wife recently took a couple of files to be printed up to mural size. The guy at the (retail) store told her that her files were CMYK and therefore could not be printed. I had to convert them to RGB so that he would accept them. I guess it was a question of giving him what he was used to getting. I wonder what colour inks their printer uses! No doubt someone else down the line will convert them back to CMYK, just as they do for the RGB jpgs supplied for iPhoto books.
At Diver Mag our repro is not as good as the exact same files reproduced in our companion Scandinavian mags DYK. That's because the art director of DYK used to share an office with a repro expert and he obviously learned a lot about the parameters needed for their printer. Diver Mag's art director is only just resigning himself to the fact that my files are best left untouched - although we have had some disappointments in the past because he likes to add black to make up for the fact his monitor faces a window. (Mine is in a darkened room.)
I provide him with a RAW file along with my adjusted CMYK tif but he is unwilling to use the RAW converter even though I gave him my spare copy of CS4 RAW. He prefers to stick with a way of working that he knows and does everything in Photoshop. People prefer to retreat to what they know rather than learn new tricks, but then we'd all be shooting film still.
Film scanned by me and supplied as a Nikon file was originally not accepted by our production man on the basis of not being good enough until I got a digital camera and converted my scans to Photoshop tifs. Then, because he thought they were from the digital camera, they suddenly became OK. I remember Kurt Amsler telling me of a similar experience.
Similarly Diver Mag receives lots of pictures converted to RGB jpgs that will not reproduce because although they might look very nice on a PC monitor, there is lots of data missing. Often they are over-sharpened too. It seems people do not understand how Photoshop works and nor will they if so many people dish out incorrect info.
I'm not an expert. Apart from a bit of 'mustardisation', I do all my picture adjustments in RAW, converting to suitable CMYK parameters at the last moment and with all sharpening switched off. I'm sure there are plenty of ways to skin a cat so I do not profess to know what's best but take my tip and be aware that many experts are not that expert!
Of course, if your pictures are only ever going to be projected/viewed by computer, you wasted your time reading this!
[EDIT by MOD - add subtitle]