Hi, I have been using a PT-005 housing since almost one year now, without any problems. Has anybody an idea about the durability of these housings? How about all those small o-rings - I am not speaking about the main user-accessible o-ring? Are they supposed to be changed after some time? Or is the housing supposed to be simply changed after a certain number of dives? Thanks for your ideas.
Honza
Honza,
The Olympus PT cases are pretty reliable. You can actually use this housings up to 200 dives without replacing the control button o-ring. Of course, that depends on how you maintain your PT-005. The control button o-rings are serviceable but that means the housing has to be pressure test again to check the integrity of the control button o-ring seal. I recommend to just replace your PT-005 with the PT-010. FYI, Olympus Japan does not offer this service. I hope this helps.
Allan
Thanks Allan, I understand that the PT-010 has a different material o-ring. Are also the control button o-rings made of the same material?
Honza,
Yes, the Olympus PT-010 housing comes with a new Silicon o-ring and grease made specifically for the silicon o-ring. It also comes with a larger lens port diameter. The control button o-ring is the same as the previous model.
Allan
Alan,
beeing the happy owner of a PT-010 i'd like to know who might offer something like a replacement service for control button O-Rings or sell those O-Rings if it is possible to change them myself and have the housing tested somewhere else.
It was pretty hard to find someone selling the housing in germany and i'd hate to buy a new one after 200 dives. That would be a reason to buy another housing.
Sabine
[Edited on 1-23-2002 by snoack]
Sabine,
It is actually possible to change service the control button o-ring yourself just make sure you have access to a pressure tank. Yes, I can get the o-rings for the PT-010 control button.
Allan
Allan,
i'll start counting my dives, ask my motormarine service if they will pressure check my housing and ask my dealer in switzerland if he can get those o-rings too. If not - do you sell and deliver o-rings to Germany ?
Fortunately i've got a couple of dives left,
Sabine
[Edited on 1-23-2002 by snoack]
Sabine,
Do you know www.multimedia-online.ch? I think they could supply the control button o-rings.
Honza
Hi Honza,
thats the one i was going to ask.
Sabine
Snoack,
yes, I can get you the o-rings for the control buttons and I can definitely deliver to Germany. Let me know.