Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Compression Artifacts

Started by RWBrooks ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Compression Artifacts

5 posts
  1. Hi all,

    I received a reply from a stock agency concerning some submitted footage of a freediver swimming through a cave.

    They couldn't accept it because of "grain and compression artifacts appear mainly concentrated with the colour gradient as it turns to black."

    Their suggestion: "try to smooth and correct the problem"

    I can understand the concept I just don't know how to do it in FCP 5.0.4.

    Any suggestions?

    Here is a frame grab:

    http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview...ver-in-cave.jpg

     

    Thanks and happy shooting

    Richard

  2. Hello Richard

     

    1. What kind of HDV camera did you use.

    2. What codec did you convert the HDV footage to for editing in FCP.

    3. What format was the demo footage encoded out from FCP.

  3. Hi Wags,

    I use an FX7 which I think compresses on recording to MPEG 2

    I use imovie to capture the HDV footage which I pull into FCP which I then export as an HDV 1080-60i QT file

  4. Richard

    That capture is too small to even see what they are talking about. You'll need to post a bigger file of a few pics. Otherwise it's impossible to help you correct it.

    Also it'd be good to list what you have done to the clip in terms of post to get that look: ie your workflow.

  5. Hi, thanks for all the feedback.

    I was looking back over my work flow and think I've found the culprit.....me....

    FCP set up was NTSC DV Anamorphic,the clip was 1080, exported to 1080.

    If the set up is 1080 exporting to 1080 results in no artifacting.

    I didn't think it would make a difference if the clip isn't rendered but it seems that it does.

    Thanks once again for the feedback

    Richard

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.