I got an email on my flickr site from David and lucille P ackard foundation.They are doing a story on Birdshead seascape raja ampat, and want to purchase one of my photos. I dont know if this is bogus or not. If not any suggestions or advice
- 11Posts
- 11Replies
Read-only discussion
offer to buy photo
-
-
First reaction is that they actually bothered to contact you vs just 'stole' it, as happens so often from hosting sites like Flickr (assuming you had a large enough resolution to be useful posted there). I'd pursue it and see if it is for real!
Beyond that I have no advice as to pricing etc but search around and there were several good (at least one stickied) threads on image pricing and rights and the like, to use as a reference.
-
I got an email on my flickr site from David and lucille P ackard foundation.They are doing a story on Birdshead seascape raja ampat, and want to purchase one of my photos. I dont know if this is bogus or not. If not any suggestions or advice
That's a totally legit foundation that does a lot of good "environmental" work.
As long as you are sure it is actually them - and that should be as easy as calling them up yourself - I'd say go for it.
-
If it's for real - easily verified - that's awesome! Congrats Victor!
Phil
-
I'll probably donate it , but whats a photo in this situation worth?
-
Drew wrote a good piece on image pricing, you can find the post here. I used this yesterday as a rough pricing guide.
Thanks to Drew who wrote it.
Good luck with selling your image
Karen
-
Don't give it away...think first about what your camera, housing and strobe cost...
If you would like an honest quote from me after decades in the business, sent me the details via
private Wetpixel email...
credit lines will not put food on your table, nor pay for your equipment...
and then, please read this article and consider:
http://rising.blackstar.com/the-true-cost-of-free.html
Best,
Tom Stack
-
Tom, thanks for posting that article, it really puts the issue into greater perspective.
-
Thanks Tom I sent you a note
-
Got it! Thank you. Please keep us posted on how this turns out.
Kathy, thank you!
Best,
Tom
-
Another option if you are not personally concerned about the income yourself is to request that any payment be made to a charity or cause of your choice. I did that recently with a Galapagos Tortoise pic that was requested for a Galapagos Exhibition poster in Colorado. They were of course happy to make the donation to the Darwin Research Center on my behalf.