I shoot video ... sort of. I have a Nikon D90 and do a lot of wreck diving. I will ocasionally switch over and shoot some video. I have all these clips laying around and would like to put them together.
I've read some of these recommendations and did not see any thing on Adobe Premiere Elements 7. Is it junk when compared to the other similiarly priced products? How about Premeire CS4?
Kirk
I used to use Premiere Elements 7 up until about a year ago, and that was adequate for editing standard DV. But last year I switched to a sony HC7 and begin shooting 1080i HDV. The Premier element program had a difficult time working with these files, and crashed more often. Also, I wanted to edit in High Def, and then render our a standard def DVD. WHich Premier elements is able to do.. but at a very low quality. I found that the built in encoder for rendering in Elements is not very good. I did not like the results. I finally outgrew Elements, as it lacked tools such as Scopes, etc.. But when compared to its peers, in the low $ end, I think Elements is one of the best.
Using the same computer and with no hardware changes, I switched to VEgas Pro, and have had no application crashing issues, and its encoding quality and options are much better. Like many things in life, "you get what you pay for" and this is another example. I believe another poster, Nick Hope uses several different "best of the breed" software applications.. each app is a specialty niche program in its own area.. which increases the total cost.. increases the learning curve, but in the long run allows some of the best quality results. I am also using HDVsplit for the initial capture, and Sony Vegas Pro for Editing and rendering, and DVD ARchitect for authoring and burning. But, I am just a hobbiest.