Check out this article on carry-ons. Looks like it's going to get even harder to travel with cameras / electronics. Guess we just have to get there that much earlier now...
- 4Posts
- 4Replies
Read-only discussion
Increased carry-on scrutiny
-
-
Interesting info, Tom,
What annoys me is the inconsistency. I have made two vacations this summer (and am currently on the 2nd one). The first to the Red Sea we were told on our tickets that we weren't allowed electronic items in the hold. And they had to be in our hand luggage. At the airport this was not inforced!
Then when flying to Cayman we are told that cabin luggage must be small and less than 5kg - because heavy items are a danger in the cabin. Anyway at the end of our flight I had to help a boy get his monstrous cabin luggage out of the overhead locker because it was to heavy for him or his mother to lift! I had to bend the plane to get it out. It must have been 10-15kg.
If rules were consistent it would make it much easier for us to conform, but they seem to change between carriers, routes and over time.
Certainly not ranting at you, Tom! Just ranting in general...
Alex :angryfire:
-
No worries Alex, I didn't think you were ranting at me. I travel every week for business, and it's AMAZING the crap that people are allowed to carry on sometimes.
I recently watched an elderly business man carry on 4 bags, each that was as large as my laptop bag immediately after I had been forced to gate check a perfectly carryon sized rolling bag. Forget about consistency between countries, airports, or even airlines, I'd just like it on the same plane! More and more I find myself just checking items instead of hassling with the carryon issues, especially if I'm going somewhere I haven't been, or flying an airline I don't normally travel.
-
Thanks for the info Tom,
I am not really looking forwards to checking in for a trip to the Galapagos in a couple of weeks with 4 cameras, three high power strobes, many many rolls of film and my laptop. The one consolation is that I fly from a little puddlejumper where most of the security staff have seen me and my electronic entourage before. Think I might get there even earlier than usual this time.