Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

D700 or MKII

Started by drako ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

D700 or MKII

5 posts
  1. A good friend of mine dives with a D700/Ikelite setup he has been waiting for the D700x to step up to a Subal, as he is very leery with the Ikelite dome port system.

    He recently ordered a new 105mm AF-S and ordered from ikelite the port specified to the lens. When he put it on, he noticed it to be a bit tight but figured that it was ok.

    We went to the Dominican republic and on the first dive it flooded and ruined the camera and lens. He is not new to underwater photo.

    The desicion is, he frankly does not want that to happen again want to order a Subal, he owns a few Nikon lenses and he wants to wait for the D700x however he is thinking about getting the MKII just because he can dive with it now.

    I know that the topics have been discussed here with the what is better etc. I love both camera companies (I learned to shoot with a Canon, but dive with a Nikon)

    I was just wondering what the internet world's input was on this situation.

  2. If he has to dive with it now, then the MKII is the only option, unless he wants another D700.

    The D700x is still vaporware, though expected in the summer, nothing is certain until it's announced. If it's the same as a D700 body, then of course the present D700 Subal housing will work. If not, then he may have to wait for a housing.

    If it were me, with an investment in Nikon lenses, I'd wait 3-4 months hoping for the D700x announcement. These companies continuously leapfrog each other so if the trend continues the D700x will probably step ahead of the MKII a little. But as I said, if he has to have it now, and he has to have video, the MKII is his only FF option.

    Edited by loftus
  3. If he has to dive with it now, then the MKII is the only option, unless he wants another D700.

    The D700x is still vaporware, though expected in the summer, nothing is certain until it's announced. If it's the same as a D700 body, then of course the present D700 Subal housing will work. If not, then he may have to wait for a housing.

    If it were me, with an investment in Nikon lenses, I'd wait 3-4 months hoping for the D700x announcement. These companies continuously leapfrog each other so if the trend continues the D700x will probably step ahead of the MKII a little. But as I said, if he has to have it now, and he has to have video, the MKII is his only FF option.

     

    I agree with you, unfortunetly he is has not dove with a camera for a month now and he was used to going out a couple of times a week. Plus he figured he might as well upgrade to something now (and he only wants to buy the subal once)

    He is in the process of ordering the Canon thank you for the advice loftus.

  4. There is a Subal 5DMkII housing on Ebay right now for $3,500 (don't know the seller or vouch for him/her).

     

    I think he will be infinitely satisfied w/ the 5DmkII. I find that I use it almost ALL the time now instead of my MkIII

     

    Cheers

    James

  5. I would go with the canon. In fact, even though I am a nikon shooter with many lenses, It does make sense (at least to me :blink: ) to buy the 5DmkII myself if/when I upgrade instead of a D700 or the like. Taking into account I will need to buy a new camera, new housing and maybe new lenses: why not buy a canon system and have both options for almost the same price? with a canon mount tokina, a 1.5x and 100mm I would shoot around 90% of what I shoot today.

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.