So here's the deal. I'm at the cenotes with some clients and I'm thinking that maybe I'll jump in the water at the next site and get some shots. So I open the back of my SUV, setup a nice working space for my camera rig which is completely setup for W/A in advance but I need to change the batteries in my strobes. First one done, move to second but I can't get the strobe to power up. Off and on I can hear the batteries start to charge it up but light never comes on and strobe won't fire. Double check batteries, not the problem. Disconnect strobe to better examine problem. Meanwhile, my phone rings and it's Scuba Diving magazine calling to tell me I placed third in the WA category of their photo comp. WOOHOO!!!!! I am super excited!!!!!! In my zeal to hear all the details (since the reception on my iphone sucks in the middle of the Mexican jungle) I walk about 20 ft. away from the car. Then I hear a big crash and turn to see my entire camera rig (minus the strobe that was the start of the problem) lying dome port down on the hardpacked parking area, a drop of approximately 3ft. I am still on the phone with Scuba Diving but my excitement has wained as I try to hold it together and wrap up my phone call because I imagine they would probably want to retract my award for such stupidity if they catch on to my distress. I hang up hoping that whatever I win in the competition I will be able to sell to buy a new domeport. I pick up the rig. The Backscatter neoprene port cover is covered in dirt but I don't hear any broken glass (or to be literal, acrylic). I remove the cover and the darn thing appears to be A-OK. The gear ring has dropped off the lens and is rolling around inside the dome, which is bad, but NOTHING compared to what I expected! I try to control my overwhelming sense of relief until I can check it in a freshwater rinse and get it back home for a close going-over with a flashlight looking for stress fractures or other uglies that may be lurking. Results: all initial tests (rinse tank dunk and careful exam) have been positive. I have yet to go on a dive with it because I spent half the night trying to figure out what was wrong with the strobe that started the whole problem!
So, in closing...good-I'm going diving, bad-strobe won't fire, good-I'm a winner!, bad-camera falls out of my car, good-neoprene cover saves the day, bad-strobe still won't work, good-I can still shoot macro with one strobe!!!!! Lucky me!