Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

What's the best Auto focus mode to use UW?

Started by Tomi ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

What's the best Auto focus mode to use UW?

4 posts
  1. Greetings,

    I have a Nikon D80 with an Ikelite housing and DS125 strobe. I shoot with a wide angle zoom, Tokina 12-24mm with a 4X diopter.

    The Nikon D80 has three area focus selection modes: Single area, Dynamic area, and Auto-focus area focus.

    Also, the D80 has three Autofocus modes: Auto-select, single servo, and continuous-servo.

    The last dive trip I used single area and Auto-select AF, I got mixed results.

     

    Can anyone recommend the best mode(s) to use UW?

     

     

    Regards,

  2. I would recommend always using continuous-servo. By default this puts the camera in shutter priority. The default setting for single-servo is for the camera not to fire if it thinks it isn't in focus. This can cause a problem if it is focusing on what you want it focused on, but the camera doesn't think it is what is should be focused on. A few solutions, but the simplest is to use AFS-C.

     

    For the area on my d300, I am not sure of the terminology, but I use the setting the covers the entire focus area (area focus) for wide angle shooting and it seems to work pretty well. For macro shooting I usually use Dynamic area and for very small objects sometimes go all the way down to single area. Some others may have different opinions, but I feel those settings work for me.

  3. don't use auto area, its junk. i use dynamic area and continuous AF, since usually everythings moving UW.

  4. Thanks for the tips.

    I will try using continuous servo on my next drive trip, which will be this week in Curaco.

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.