Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

EXIF

Started by vlad ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

EXIF

9 posts
  1. Hello,

     

    Does everybody has that much trouble as I have or it is just me?

    I found a long time ago a perl program that was transforming a folder of picture files in multiple web pages based on a template. I started using this program after fixing it and that's how I post my pictures on my website.

    The perl script is on a linux box and it is using imagemagic to do all the transformation on the pix.

     

    I decided about a week ago to incorporate in this automated web album generator, not only the name of the picture but EXIF information.

    I searched on the web and I found a perl Canon camera EXIF parser and I made it work and I integrated it with the other module I had.

    It worked and I was happy.

     

    The problem is that of course I have to touch the pictures just a little bit and as soon as I save them (I tried PSP 7 and Photoshop 7) the EXIF information is not in the place where the perl script is looking so I can't get it anymore.

    Photoshop can still see the EXIF info so it is not erased but it is not in "Canon" format I guess and that's why the perl script can't pick it up anymore.

     

    Yes, but can't you just save the exif info from your picture and then put it in your web page?

    Of course I could but I want to do this automated.

    I want to run a script and let my computer do the dirty work.

     

    Are any of you in to this?????

     

    By the way, I don't want dinamical website stuff or CGI scripts. I want a script that processes the photos and generates the web pages and also puts in each page the EXIF info.

     

    Any ideeas???

     

    Thank you

    Vlad

  2. Vlad,

     

    I have no idea what you just said. :) But, you might give BreezeBrowser a try, It has an HTML generation page with numerous templates, some of shich include EXIF info.

     

    Any of the templates could be changed to fit your needs.

     

    Not sure that even comes close to what you were asking!

     

    Bob

  3. Bob,

     

    Close but no cigar! :-)

    I tried breezebrowser and I did used to read the exif nfo but that's about it. I haven't tried the web page generation.

     

    Vlad

  4. Hey,

     

    Still no cigar :-)

    I checked it out and it is an EXIF exporter but Photoshop's built EXIF viewer works better but I need a script in something I could use on my linux box so I need smethingwritten in perl, python, sh or some scripting language I could modify to get its output outomaticaly as a web page.

     

    You are right, the Breezebrowser is pretty cool and you can design your own templated and that would work and be OK I am just not ready to give up of everything being done on my linux box not on my windoze box.

     

    Thank you for your help

    Vlad

  5. Hi,

    Once I programmed in Perl (great language btw) and I still do some work from time to time.

    Send me the code and samples of pictures before & after the PS and I'll try to see if it’s possible to find the EXIF data again.

     

    Btw: the problem is probably by the Canon format that it’s not standard.

  6. Thank you Alto,

     

    I figured out.

    Yes, you are right the problem is with the proprietary Canon information (what is called manuffacturer data) and it is nothing to be done since PS it is erasing it but I found out that if I use ThumbsPlus the EXIF information is not affected.

     

    I'll send you my code though. Do you have an email address where you want it?

    Vlad

  7. you'll want to try JAlbum. I believe it'll do exactly what you want :(:)

  8. Hello Vlad

    Sorry its took me some time to check your script (I add some ruff time here and I didn't have time for anything, even for diving :lol: )

    The problem with the script is that Canon use not standard structure for some of the data and store it in the manufacture area as you described, Its quit strange because Canon do it only for some parts of the data and for some not.

    When the picture is processed by PS the program can't read the non standard data, ignore it and don’t write it back to the file that created by PS. So some of the data is lost and some of it your Perl script can’t read because it’s no more in the manufacture area where it looking for it.

     

    I also Uses JAlbum and after few modifications I found it’s very usable.

     

    Arnon

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.