Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Lightroom on Nehalem Mac Pro

Started by seagrant ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Lightroom on Nehalem Mac Pro

6 posts
  1. Finally learning with inner workings of Lightroom better and getting it set up properly on my new Nehalem Mac Pro 8.

     

    It's running in 64 bit; so supposedly it is accessing at least some of my 12GB RAM.

     

    Almost at a loss for words! I had no idea Lightroom could run so fast (it certainly didn't in any of my encounters with it before).

     

    One thing, I read in Nathaniel Coalson's LR book that he suggested to get the LR Cat off the boot (main) drive, so system updates, etc. wouldn't affect it, etc. He puts it with the photo files that LR accesses on one separate, dedicated drive. I did this but noticed a slow-down (not that bad but noticeable on the Nehalem). I then read up more and moved my LR Catalog to my drive in Bay 3, general file central (again, separate from my dedicated photo drive). Boy did it speed up!

     

    Here are some Lightroom Speed up tips I found helpful. (And I don't even do Raid, SATA, etc - it is still amazingly fast! Can't wait for snow leopard!)

    Hurry up Lightroom! The best speed tips! by The Lightroom Queen

     

    Best, Carol (The work is paying off, can't wait till I don't have to be dry anymore!) :blink:

     

    [i should add I have 32,000 images, mostly RAW NEF & RAF, plus lots of layered 16 bit photoshop files in my one Lightroom 2 Catalog - and its still fast! Don't see any need now to break up into separate catalogs, unless I just want to make a separate one for underwater (or just one for manatees), later, for organizational purposes. Sure is nice having (almost) everything in one place! Of course I will probably further sort and delete a few thousand; but it is so simple to have everything in one place, in order to do this job. I'm stoked!)

    Edited by seagrant
  2. Finally learning with inner workings of Lightroom better and getting it set up properly on my new Nehalem Mac Pro 8.

     

    It's running in 64 bit; so supposedly it is accessing at least some of my 12GB RAM.

     

    Almost at a loss for words! I had no idea Lightroom could run so fast (it certainly didn't in any of my encounters with it before).

     

    One thing, I read in Nathaniel Coalson's LR book that he suggested to get the LR Cat off the boot (main) drive, so system updates, etc. wouldn't affect it, etc. He puts it with the photo files that LR accesses on one separate, dedicated drive. I did this but noticed a slow-down (not that bad but noticeable on the Nehalem). I then read up more and moved my LR Catalog to my drive in Bay 3, general file central (again, separate from my dedicated photo drive). Boy did it speed up!

     

    Here are some Lightroom Speed up tips I found helpful. (And I don't even do Raid, SATA, etc - it is still amazingly fast! Can't wait for snow leopard!)

    Hurry up Lightroom! The best speed tips! by The Lightroom Queen

     

    Best, Carol (The work is paying off, can't wait till I don't have to be dry anymore!) :lol:

     

    [i should add I have 32,000 images, mostly RAW NEF & RAF, plus lots of layered 16 bit photoshop files in my one Lightroom 2 Catalog - and its still fast! Don't see any need now to break up into separate catalogs, unless I just want to make a separate one for underwater (or just one for manatees), later, for organizational purposes. Sure is nice having (almost) everything in one place! Of course I will probably further sort and delete a few thousand; but it is so simple to have everything in one place, in order to do this job. I'm stoked!)

     

    Great link! Thanks Carol. Cheers, Jett

  3. WOW! Thanks a million Carol.

    I got my LR running like a Speedy Gonzales :lol:

     

    Cheers

    Karel

  4. Great link! Thanks Carol. Cheers, Jett

     

    You are welcome Jett! Those tips really helped me a lot. My LR Cat is screaming, even with me organizing, moving and deleting tons of photos. It's not just the Nehalem Mac Pro either; that helped tremendously of course, but setting it up like The Lightroom Queen suggested, plus some other tweaks - really helped.

     

    So great to hear from you & enjoyed our diving in Port Hardy last year so much! Can't wait to go back (and that's saying a lot from a FL gal who gets cold!) :)

     

    WOW! Thanks a million Carol.

    I got my LR running like a Speedy Gonzales :)

    Cheers

    Karel

     

    "Speedy Gonzales" is GOOD! :)

     

    You are welcomed, but thank The Lightroom Queen

    The Lightroom Queen is also on Twitter - I follow her! She is also very kind and helpful.

     

    Best, Carol

  5. Thanks for the tips Carol. I really gotta get a faster Mac Pro!

  6. Thanks for the tips Carol. I really gotta get a faster Mac Pro!

     

    Yea, yea, I hear ya. But, I'll be saying that in a couple of years when everyone else has a new one! Let me revel in the short-window-of-new-fast-computer-opportunity for now! :P

     

    Man, I'm spoiled with the fast Lightroom. I jumped to PSCS4 for a couple of photos today and ugh!!!! PSCS4 felt like molasses next to speedy LR!

     

    Cheers, Carol

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.