Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Which combo: G1 + Ikelite or S30/s40 + Canon (Sea and Sea)?

Started by DiveTurkey ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Which combo: G1 + Ikelite or S30/s40 + Canon (Sea and Sea)?

3 posts
  1. I currently own a Canon PowerShot G1. I bought it to replace another 3 Mpixel camera a while back specifically because there were housings available.

     

    However, the new S30 and S40 have avaiable a Canon-branded housing that appears to be very similar to the one that Sea and Sea sells for the A40. A buddy of mine has that housing and I've used it on dive trips with him. No complaints so far.

     

    Given that the street price of a new s30 or s40 plus the new housing is less than the Ikelite housing alone for the G1, which would you buy? The housing for the G1 I already have, or a new camera and housing?

  2. Hey! Nice user name, but isn't it supposed to be "jive turkey"...

     

    :)

     

    what is the depth limit on the canon housing, and can you live with it?

     

    Several of us are using G2 / ikelite setups, and getting great results.

     

    I like the solid quality and feel of the ikelites, compared to the camera manufacturers housings.

     

    If you are unhappy with the image quality, and usability aspects of the g1, that might be a reason to switch.

  3. I have the S30 with the Canon WP-DC300 W/U case and for now I'm very satisfied from that combination.

    One advance over the G2/G1 + Ikelite case is the small size of it, I found it very comfortable.

    the disadvantage is the Canon case is good for 30 meter only (although friend of mine tested his case at 37 m).

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.