Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Recommendation on sub $1500 system

Started by ajwutila ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Recommendation on sub $1500 system

3 posts
  1. Hi all,

     

    I am a PADI instructor on the island of Utila, and my Canon Powershot S100 + Canon housing, which is good only to 30 feet, is just not cutting it any more. I hope you experts can share your advice with me!

     

    What I am hoping to find is a 4 megapixel or better camera that will allow me to use an external strobe,

    will go to at least 100 feet/30 meters, has decent battery life, and will let me take pictures of small items. The reef here is full of amazing small stuff -- tons of yellow blennies, tiny (and I mean TINY! crabs), and other small creatures that I'd love to capture digitally. Ideally I'd like to find a camera that will let me fill the frame from 6 to 10 inches away with something as small as a US dime, or somethng about 1cm diameter.

     

    I am not ready to spend the US$6000+ for a digital SLR system, at least not yet -- does anyone have a camera and housing setup that they'd recommend? I will be using my camera at least once a week throughout most of the year, so durability is important too!

     

    TIA, Andrew

  2. I use Olympus C-5050z ($535), Olympus PT-015 ($159) and Sea & Sea YS90DX ($450-$600). I'm very pleased with the rig.

    TEdJ

  3. ... Ideally I'd like to find a camera that will let me fill the frame from 6 to 10 inches away with something as small as a US dime, or somethng about 1cm diameter. 

     

    Not askjng for much are you :) That's equivalent to 1:3 with about a 500mm lens on a 35mm system! I think that will be hard no matter how much money you have to spend. What can be done with an Olympus 5050 is around 3.5cm field an inch or so away, or with the addition of an external lens around 3cm field from 3 inches away.

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.