Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Bright yellow slug on net attached to FAD

Started by Hani Amir ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Bright yellow slug on net attached to FAD

4 posts
  1. We saw this only on one FAD. Which was also the only one that happened to have this kind of net.

     

    Sorry for the blown highlights but this was the only decent one I could get. Currents were strong and the net was billowing about.

     

    Location I think was about 20km outside of Lhaviyani Atoll, Maldives.

    post-22527-1241672433.jpg

    post-22527-1241672500.jpg

  2. Took another look Debelius guide says Aplysia sp.. But it says it's only found in the Andaman sea of thailand so I guess it must have drifted here. Sorry hehe, dunno how I missed it.

     

    I guess the behavior described "prefers algae encrusting substrates" makes sense because the parts of the net near it seem to be cleaned out (compare with net in background).

     

    edit: Couldn't find any specific species after searching around on the internet though. Anyone else seen this?

    Edited by Hani Amir
  3. It is not an Aplysia, although is related. It is Stylocheilus longicauda, which is circumtropical.

     

    Cheers,

    Marli

  4. Thanks man! :) Another reason not to trust that Debelius book too much then hehe.

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.