Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

FREE PC BUG Tools

Started by wagsy ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

FREE PC BUG Tools

5 posts
  1. I know most of you photo folks out there are on OSX but I thought I would post some Free tools to help the PC users out there.

    To make a PC run well you need to tweek it and get rid of all the installed rubbish they put on them. You cannot just turn them on and away you go out of the box, Sony, Dell and big brand names are the worse I recon.

     

    Once set up correct all thats needed is a little bit of housekeeping from time to time.

    My new 17 inch 2.5 gig PC BOOK Pro Vista laptop is running really really well, boots up and shuts down in no time... but it took two days to get it that way. :)

    All the 4 CS3 programs I use run very fast and all at the same time so does lightroom plus Editing RAW m2t HDV is a breeze.

     

    Well here is the open source Virus program I use.

    http://www.clamwin.com/

     

    Here is the free bug finder.

    http://www.malwarebytes.org/

    Just fire them up when you want too, update and run the above when you feel like it as you don't want them scanning the drive constantly.

     

    Also have a image of your system drive with all its software installed on another partition or drive and never save anything to the C: in case you have to pull it back one day.

    Turn Win auto updates off and update when you feel like it, file catching, system restore, UCA and msconfig all start up programs except the firewall and turn off many running services.

    A great free drive image tool is DriveImageXML.

    If your system ever stuffs up just bring your image back and away you go. Best is to make a boot up CDROM that loads Drive ImageXML into the ram to get it going if your computer will not boot.

     

    And for a firewall get the free version of Zone alarm.

    http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-gb/home.htm?lid=en-gb

     

    A neat little free program to help tweek Vista is called Vista Tweeker.

     

    A neat little FREE program to clean out you browser temp, cookies, history and stuff is ATF Cleaner http://www.atribune.org/index.php?option=c...5&Itemid=25

    And probably the best piece of software ever to come out from Symantec is the Nortons Anti Virus software removal tool :)http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgen...005033108162039

     

    Anyone else have anything to add?

    Edited by wagsy
  2. O see I helped a lot :)

    Must add that playing QUAKE 4 on a laptop at extreme quality is pretty cool too.

  3. that malware you linked to got one i had...

     

    cheers

  4. awesome!

     

    Fallout 3 on a suped up laptop is better :-)

  5. Good to hear Mike.

     

    Just got through playing Quake 4 over the weekend on the lappie, what a classic shoot them / blown them up game.... :P

    I found the GOD code ;)

     

    Hi Cal.....I'll go and check out that Fallout 3.

    It's amazing that you can play these intense graphic games on a laptop now days.

     

    Another funny little tool that some may want to use is PC Decrapifier

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.