Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Help to identify silver ball

Started by Mark Mtl2 ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Help to identify silver ball

6 posts
  1. Help!

    I was in Curacao and saw these silver balls in various locations. No idea what they are.

    In this image you can see one under the Puffer

    Anyone know what it is?

     

    Thanks,

     

    Mark

    post-8553-1242096229.jpg

  2. It is a type of Green Algae called Valonia ventricosa or 'Sea Pearl' for common name.

     

    I think it is the largest single cell organism.

  3. It is a type of Green Algae called Valonia ventricosa or 'Sea Pearl' for common name.

     

    I think it is the largest single cell organism.

    Thanks so much Giles!! It is so amazing how useful/practical these forums can be.

  4. It is a type of Green Algae called Valonia ventricosa or 'Sea Pearl' for common name.

     

    I think it is the largest single cell organism.

     

     

    I second that thanks, this is something I always wondered about also.

  5. I second that thanks, this is something I always wondered about also.

     

    Another commonly used name for this algae is sailors eyeball.

     

    Bent C

  6. Also known in the aquarium trade simply as "bubble algae". It's quite "undesirable", although I've never quite understood why.

     

    Dan

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.