Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Camera Insurance

Started by TisTam ·

  • 15Posts
  • 15Replies

Read-only discussion

Camera Insurance

15 posts
  1. I want to get specific camera insurance for my Canon SLR and associated kit, but many of the ones I've looked at specify either that they won't cover any equipment that's used underwater, or at the least they won't cover it for damage from water ingress. I might be just naive to expect cover for water damage if I use it underwater but I wondered if anyone on here might be able to offer any advice, in particular if anyone can recommend any insurance companies in the UK.

     

    Thanks!

  2. I want to get specific camera insurance for my Canon SLR and associated kit, but many of the ones I've looked at specify either that they won't cover any equipment that's used underwater, or at the least they won't cover it for damage from water ingress. I might be just naive to expect cover for water damage if I use it underwater but I wondered if anyone on here might be able to offer any advice, in particular if anyone can recommend any insurance companies in the UK.

     

    Thanks!

     

    we have ours insured by our home insurers " priviledge " and it covers accidental damage away from the home and we did ask the specifically about water damage and floods. Having said that it might be a case of " sorry sir you are not insured for that " if we ever did have to make a claim for it.

     

    Hope this helps, Stew

  3. we have ours insured by our home insurers " priviledge " and it covers accidental damage away from the home and we did ask the specifically about water damage and floods. Having said that it might be a case of " sorry sir you are not insured for that " if we ever did have to make a claim for it.

     

    Hope this helps, Stew

     

     

    In such a case maybe a flooded housing quickly becomes; "Oops, I tripped over a bit of driftwood while walking on the beach and I dropped my camera into a rockpool. Dear me..."

  4. Yes my kit is currently covered under my house contents insurance as specified items but I've just been offered a photography commission and I don't think my policy covers it for business use. Since it's pushing £10k worth of stuff now I'd be more than a little upset if it went missing in transit and I found it wasn't covered. And I know how slippery insurers can be when they want to avoid paying out!

  5. I want to get specific camera insurance for my Canon SLR and associated kit, but many of the ones I've looked at specify either that they won't cover any equipment that's used underwater, or at the least they won't cover it for damage from water ingress. I might be just naive to expect cover for water damage if I use it underwater but I wondered if anyone on here might be able to offer any advice, in particular if anyone can recommend any insurance companies in the UK.

     

    Thanks!

    Have you checked out DAN (Divers Alert Network)? I have my u/w camera and accessories insured through them. Check it out here https://www.h2oinsurance.com/ or https://diveralertnetwork.com.

     

    Bob

  6. Divemaster Insurance do insurance for underwater gear, including camera and housing. I think you may have to insure some non-camera gear as well, e.g. BCD.

     

    jon

    Edited by jonhanson
  7. I am also looking at the moment. I recently contacted these people:

     

    http://www.scubasure.com/index.php SCUBASURE

    With this company,(UK based) you don't have to insure your dive gear to qualify, although you can if you want. For £5000 of cover the cost is £184. I didnt think this was too bad. I rang them to ask a few questions, and spoke to some-one called Charlotte, who was incredibly helpful.

     

    I asked about being on a live-aboard and not being able to get flooded gear checked straight away, and was told no problem, as soon as you get back to land is OK.

    Also I asked about washed overboard, and again was told that was covered, including dropping it when handing up to boat operator.

     

    There is a quick premium calculator on the site too.

     

    I think I am going to give them a try, unless some-one knows of a good reason not to?

  8. In such a case maybe a flooded housing quickly becomes; "Oops, I tripped over a bit of driftwood while walking on the beach and I dropped my camera into a rockpool. Dear me..."

     

    I like your style. but isnt that being dishonest.....lol

     

    Stew

  9. I have met a number of people who have found that home insurance covers loss and theft, but not flooding or dive-damage.

     

    I use http://www.dive-master.net/equipment/Equipment.php, but they ain't cheap...

     

    ... not that I need it, now that my Shearwater trip has been cancelled by Jim...

     

    Tim

     

    :)

  10. You should check and see if your home owners insurance company has a separate "personal articles policy" that you can purchase. My home owners does not cover camera loss secondary to flooding, but a personal articles policy does. It insures for accidental direct physical loss or damage that is not due to war. I insured $20,000 for my underwater system for $242/year and the coverage is also non-deductible.

     

    Elmer

  11. Unfortunately the kit insurance offered by DAN is only available to residents of the US. I'm looking into Divemaster and Scubasure now, thanks!

  12. I have used Westfield and now use Divemaster... Both helpful ... Although (fingers crossed, touch wood) i haven't yet tested their services...

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  13. I used to be with BuddyinDepth who will not cover unexplained flooding, I proved that! They will cover physical damage by dropping it on a dive and transit to a dive, I'm not covred by them anymore and wouldnt reccomend them, their underwriters are Equity Red Star and they also required about £500 of kit cover too

     

    The guy Kevin/Aquaphot in UK who servcies Ikelite recommends I think Divemaster too, just found his comments in an old email

    "It sounds like a Company that had no intention of paying irrespective of the situation, I have found a lot of home or travel insurance now play these games. Try Dive Master Insurance 01702 476902 ask them directly who they use and explain your situation they may be able to advise a course of action?"

     

    Holiday insurance co's and home insurance tyend to only have a maximum of around £300 cover too and thisa includes any camera accessories

     

    Cheers

    Woody

  14. Holiday insurance co's and home insurance tyend to only have a maximum of around £300 cover too and thisa includes any camera accessories

     

    Cheers

    Woody

     

    Ours is covered for £10 k worldwide. it costs a few extra pound to insure it but we only insure it for worldwide when we are away and not when it is at home sat in a cupboard. Our household insurance covers it then. The insurer is happy for us to do it that way.

     

    I guess like all insurance related documents read the small print

     

    Stew

    Edited by stewsmith
  15. Hi all,

     

    I whole heartedly recommend these:

     

    http://www.gloverhowe.com/

     

    They will cover for pro use and non pro, will insure underwater housings and associated gear such as laptops, and the UK only policy will allow you roam internationally for up to 20 days at a time.

     

    I think they do flood cover as well, but I haven't got it so best to check

     

    I used to use DEPP in the States and I find Glover and Howes prices comparable with DEPP's

     

    Their customer service is excellent

     

    Thanks

     

    Steve

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.