Here is some footage we shot on the steamer Spring (Norway) using our new HMI video lights.
Now all we need is a proper proper camera so if someone want´s to get rid of their PMW-EX1 (or similar) you are more than welcome to get in touch with me. ![]()
![]()
Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic
Started by northseaexplorers ·
Read-only discussion
Here is some footage we shot on the steamer Spring (Norway) using our new HMI video lights.
Now all we need is a proper proper camera so if someone want´s to get rid of their PMW-EX1 (or similar) you are more than welcome to get in touch with me. ![]()
![]()
Here is some footage we shot on the steamer Spring (Norway) using our new HMI video lights.
Now all we need is a proper proper camera so if someone want´s to get rid of their PMW-EX1 (or similar) you are more than welcome to get in touch with me.
Really nice. What cam are you working with at the moment ?
Cool! Where do you get your music from?
Really nice. What cam are you working with at the moment ?
Thanks. We have two, primarily use Sony HDR-HC3e HDV with a not to great W/A adapter and also we have an older Sony DV cam.
HDV is $#$%! to edit and I usually do something like, HDV1080i@25fps -> Prores 1280x720p@25fps before I even start the edit. Click ok and go make some coffee. A lot. ![]()
DV material is much sweeter but a tad bit 2004 so we´re looking to upgrade. ![]()
Cool! Where do you get your music from?
Thanks.
We´re amateurs so we get to use whatever we want
, so this is actually something from Hanz Zimmer (sshhh ... don´t tell anyone), but I usually do like everyone else who doesn´t have access to their own symphony orchestra, get something from cc-mixter or similar.
I´ve also considered getting material from Smartsound, and editing it in Sonicfire but I haven´t yet found any music that´s spot on.
Thanks. We have two, primarily use Sony HDR-HC3e HDV with a not to great W/A adapter and also we have an older Sony DV cam.
HDV is $#$%! to edit and I usually do something like, HDV1080i@25fps -> Prores 1280x720p@25fps before I even start the edit. Click ok and go make some coffee. A lot.
DV material is much sweeter but a tad bit 2004 so we´re looking to upgrade.
....
I´ve also considered getting material from Smartsound, and editing it in Sonicfire but I haven´t yet found any music that´s spot on.
Interesting. A few comments
1) I notice some "mosquito noise" in your footage. I usually get this (On my FX1) when the gain is ramped up too high. Have you played with fixing the gain control to say 6Db ? With those HMI's you should have plenty of light to make up the difference (as you have plenty of DoF to play with)
2) I use final cut express which converts HDV to AIC for editing and I can easily edit directly on a 5 yr old Power MAC (Power PC version)
3) I use smartsound and I get a lot of whining about how bad my music is!!! So I am also looking for alternatives.
I have some friends that can make soundtracks but it's quite intensive so I reserve that for the more significant videos.
We have to get together & dive someday ![]()
Interesting. A few comments1) I notice some "mosquito noise" in your footage. I usually get this (On my FX1) when the gain is ramped up too high. Have you played with fixing the gain control to say 6Db ? With those HMI's you should have plenty of light to make up the difference (as you have plenty of DoF to play with)
In english please. Could you dum it down a notch?
What is DoF and what can it do for me?
Also, Vimeo did some funky stuff with my initial upload magnifying each clip by 150 - 200%. It´s now re-upped and and the zoom level i back to normal and the noise-to-video ratio has decreased.
2) I use final cut express which converts HDV to AIC for editing and I can easily edit directly on a 5 yr old Power MAC (Power PC version)
I´ve never used AIC as a have a fairly recent MacBook Pro that can handle Prores and all the benefits (size, rendering, speed) that format/codec gives. The reason it takes so long to convert from HDV1080i to 720p Prores is because of the frame re-sizing (that´s my working theory anyway).
3) I use smartsound and I get a lot of whining about how bad my music is!!! So I am also looking for alternatives.
´nuff said! ![]()
We have to get together & dive someday
Sure, were are you based?
In english please. Could you dum it down a notch?What is DoF and what can it do for me?
Also, Vimeo did some funky stuff with my initial upload magnifying each clip by 150 - 200%. It´s now re-upped and and the zoom level i back to normal and the noise-to-video ratio has decreased.
I´ve never used AIC as a have a fairly recent MacBook Pro that can handle Prores and all the benefits (size, rendering, speed) that format/codec gives. The reason it takes so long to convert from HDV1080i to 720p Prores is because of the frame re-sizing (that´s my working theory anyway).
´nuff said!
Sure, were are you based?
Apologies on the DoF comment
I was just saying that your footage looked like the camera had automatically increased gain to compensate for lowlight, which with the HMI's probably is un-necessary.
On my camera, I fix the gain usually at 0Db sometimes at 6Db. Because the sensors in these cams are relatively small, you get a relatively deep field of view (i.e. a lot of the frame is in focus) even at wide apertures, so you can fix the gain & open up the aperture to get more light in + the HMIs
I am in los angeles so a bit far
We were supposed to hit Narvik this year but thats all postponed...
Apologies on the DoF commentI was just saying that your footage looked like the camera had automatically increased gain to compensate for lowlight, which with the HMI's probably is un-necessary.
No worries! I just read your post a bit to quick and didn´t realize until now (aha!) that DoF = depth of field.
My bad.
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.