Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Backhanded compliments

Started by drsteve ·

  • 13Posts
  • 13Replies

Read-only discussion

Backhanded compliments

13 posts
  1. My all time favorite is "Great picture; you must have a great camera", to which I usually reply, "I tend to think of it as the photographer behind the lens". How about you, what are your favorite backhanded compliments?

  2. This is a big pet peeve of mine. I'm always tempted to reply with something like "If you saw a beautiful painting, would you suggest that the artist must have a great paintbrush!!??" But instead I usually just say thanks...

     

     

    My all time favorite is "Great picture; you must have a great camera", to which I usually reply, "I tend to think of it as the photographer behind the lens". How about you, what are your favorite backhanded compliments?
    Edited by davehicks
  3. (1) That's a great photograph, you must have been really lucky...

     

    and

     

    (2) That's a great photograph, you must have been on a really good dive...

     

    and, at work: didn't Mr/Mrs X do well when she was being treated...

    Tim

     

    :P

  4. Yeah I get the "What camera did you use" pretty often. Or "gee, there sure are some nice fish where you went" - of course usually it's some rare nudi or something that took 3 days to find.

     

    I have been working with the State on a dive map project using a bunch of my photos. I kept getting "make the critter shots smaller" from them in meetings - and these are Fish & Wildlife people, btw....Anyway she stopped by my booth at a recent show and swa how big and how expensive the equipment it took to take the photos and her eyes got big. Trying swimming with that in a current in a drysuit...

     

    Jack

  5. I've had the opposite happen. I was shooting for a client using a rangefinder Leica when I was asked rather suspiciously about whether it was a good camera (obviously it looked like a compact). All I had to do was quote the price and the fact that it was German made and I got a look of awe. Perceptions change. Needless to say the client was perfectly happy with the results.

  6. My all time favorite is "Great picture; you must have a great camera", to which I usually reply, "I tend to think of it as the photographer behind the lens". How about you, what are your favorite backhanded compliments?
    Edited by FLAFROG
  7. I have a good one.... Mine was from another local photographer after I got my first (only!!) big placement in a competition - a bronze in the recent OWU - I entered a few picstures in Novice only, since I haven't been shooting long. When I found out, I was so excited, I literally shrieked like a little girl! I was high as a kite, so ridiculously happy...and he said to me, "wow, congrats!! oh, but it was just novice, right??"

     

    Talk about deflation. I didn't know what to say to that, so I kept my mouth shut.

  8. My all time favorite is "Great picture; you must have a great camera", to which I usually reply, "I tend to think of it as the photographer behind the lens". How about you, what are your favorite backhanded compliments?

     

     

    A number of years ago I was invited to a dinner party by a well known professional Chef and his wife, I brought with me two framed and matted underwater prints which had been published as a gift, the host remarked "these are excellent,you must own a good camera." The dinner was of course excellent, as I left I thanked the host's and added "The dinner was great,you must have some good pots."

  9. This has been discussed before :P

     

     

    post-250-1242416082.gif

  10. This has been discussed before :P

     

     

    post-250-1242416082.gif

    I agree it's not always the camera but most of the time the person behind the lens!

     

    www.thebigpicturelibrary.com/stevenanderson

  11. The worst is when then say "you're lucky to have the life you have".

    yea, of course, I was born with everything...seriously...

     

    the Duck stuff is just perfect, I'm gonna try to use this strategy next time :P

  12. I hate it when people promptly ask me how many megapixels followed by a "haha, mine has way more than 6!" or "ooh, really expensive camera then eh?" depending on whether it's my D70s or G10.

  13. HI,

    I have never been so lucky or is it unlucky, I just don't take good images ;)

    But I do get some which I think are quite good so im happy :P

    Andy

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.