Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

My funky showreel

Started by stalefish ·

  • 20Posts
  • 20Replies

Read-only discussion

My funky showreel

20 posts
  1. I just put together a showreel. Feel free to comment!

     

     

    All the best!

    Henrik

    Edited by stalefish
  2. looks great, I like the parts with the whale shark and the gellyfish.

    magic filter? :P

  3. Nice one Henrik...

     

    Very MTV styley :)

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  4. Hmmm if I'm not wrong, Ko Tao and a lot of Chumporn Pinnacles. I like the bull shark hunting fish sequence, so much better real world behavior than baited dives. :)

    Looks fun but what exactly is the showreel for? If it's for DVDs, it's nice and fun. If you're trying to show your camera work, the sequences are too short to show off your camera skills.

  5. looks great, I like the parts with the whale shark and the gellyfish.

    magic filter? :)

     

    Not really :) Just a blue water flter and color corrections in FCP!

    Cheers

  6. What cam gear are you using?

    Steve

  7. Nice one Henrik...

     

    Very MTV styley :)

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

     

    Thanks a lot Dean! :)

     

    That's sort of the way I wanted to have it - fast, funky, fresh, colourfull, and hopefully original :)

     

    Cheers!

  8. Hmmm if I'm not wrong, Ko Tao and a lot of Chumporn Pinnacles. I like the bull shark hunting fish sequence, so much better real world behavior than baited dives. :)

    Looks fun but what exactly is the showreel for? If it's for DVDs, it's nice and fun. If you're trying to show your camera work, the sequences are too short to show off your camera skills.

     

    Thanks a lot for your comment! :)

     

    That's right! Chumphon Pinnachles! :)

     

    This is my first one.... I have seen other peoples showreels as well and I thought some of them were a bit too slow with very long clips and slow music. Although you re right about the fact that it doesnt Really show my cameraskills, since the sequences are very short.

     

    I just wanted it to be colourful, intense, funky, fast and creative. To catch the interest of the observer.

     

     

    Cheers!

  9. What cam gear are you using?

    Steve

     

    Hi Steve!

     

    This is all filmed with a Sony DCR-PC350 in a Gates housing, with blue water filter and a Fathom Wideangle port. I colour corrected it in FCP.

     

    Cheers! /Henrik

  10. Hi Steve!

     

    This is all filmed with a Sony DCR-PC350 in a Gates housing, with blue water filter and a Fathom Wideangle port. I colour corrected it in FCP.

     

    Cheers! /Henrik

     

    I really enjoyed it... upbeat, entertaining and some great shots.

  11. Wonderful, I watched the whole lot. :)

    When the song says knock them out.... should line up with the diver making that punching move.

    Nice job.

  12. Great video, so much fun. makes me want to go back to Koh Tao, and that's saying something....

     

    Thanks for sharing!!

     

    Mike

  13. Wonderful, I watched the whole lot. :)

    When the song says knock them out.... should line up with the diver making that punching move.

    Nice job.

     

    Hi Wagsy!

    Thanks a lot for your comment :) I'm glad you liked it.

    Thats a good point actually, didnt think about that!

    Thanks :)

    /Henrik

  14. Great video, so much fun. makes me want to go back to Koh Tao, and that's saying something....

     

    Thanks for sharing!!

     

    Mike

     

    Hi Mike! Thanks for your comment! Glad you liked it, cool! It's such a nice place huh...

    Cheers!

    Henrik

  15. Thanks a lot Dean! :)

     

    That's sort of the way I wanted to have it - fast, funky, fresh, colourfull, and hopefully original :)

     

    Cheers!

     

     

    It was cool but i fear not original... There's a few shooters going for the MTV quick cut sequences out there... Looks real good on holiday vids tho !!!

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  16. Exhilarating!! Makes me wanna go back there.

     

    You got them all. The whale shark, mantas, bull sharks. However it would have been better, for us UW videographers if you had edited in longer sequences of the big animals.

  17. You guys over at Koh Tao are great at this style of video, which absolutely doesn't come naturally to me. It reminded me of the Scubazoo piece in the Sensational Seas DVD. Proves you don't need $$$ gear to make great video.

     

    As others have said, if you wanted to make a showreel to get TV work etc. then you should put some longer clips in it. Is the music royalty free?

     

    Are those bull sharks still there?

  18. Exhilarating!! Makes me wanna go back there.

     

    You got them all. The whale shark, mantas, bull sharks. However it would have been better, for us UW videographers if you had edited in longer sequences of the big animals.

     

    Thanks for the input. I might just make another another one. With longer sequences and calmer pace.

    Cheers

    /Henrik

  19. You guys over at Koh Tao are great at this style of video, which absolutely doesn't come naturally to me. It reminded me of the Scubazoo piece in the Sensational Seas DVD. Proves you don't need $$$ gear to make great video.

     

    As others have said, if you wanted to make a showreel to get TV work etc. then you should put some longer clips in it. Is the music royalty free?

     

    Are those bull sharks still there?

     

     

    Hi Nick!

     

    Thanks for your comment and the input.

     

    Unfortunately the music isn't royalty free.

    (O.T.) Do you know where I can find descent royalty free music? I have seen that many uw videographers use classical music in their videos, are these old tracks royalty free?

     

    I don't know about the Bull Sharks as I am no longer on the Island, but I heard that they have decreased.

     

    /Henrik

  20. Hi Henrik,

     

    You really should use royalty free music, not just because it's "professional" and legal, but YouTube and other sharing sites are rapidly cracking down on this. You might get good traffic and discussion about your video only to find it gets removed by Vimeo for breach of T&C.

     

    There are many many sources for descent (sic :P ) royalty free music that Mr Google can offer you. Dmoz has a good directory too. You can also go to "song-writing" or sequencing software forums and find composers who will be willing to donate or trade. To be honest I'm cagey about my sources these days, as good tracks take a long time and hard work to locate. It can take many many auditions before finding suitable tracks. I shared a source a while back and suddenly there were a bunch of u/w videos around sharing the same soundtrack.

     

    The situation regarding classical music is complex, and as the internet is an international medium you need to cater for the worst case. It's not just the composer who is protected by copyright but the performer too. For example in the EU the performance of music is now protected by copyright for 70 years. As pre-1940 recordings ain't gonna sound too clever, you need to find music that is specifically licensed royalty free.

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.