Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Fill Light and Recovery in LR2

Started by Stephen H. ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Fill Light and Recovery in LR2

6 posts
  1. Long story short: considering entering a photo or two in a contest which does not allow dodging or burning.

     

    I am new to Lightroom, only downloading the trial version after my recent trip to the Philippines.

     

    The Fill Light and Recovery bars, which have proved quite useful in some situations seem a lot like dodging and burning; though are more like the levels adjustments in PS3 in my mind (which I am familiar with).

     

    I understand this is nitpicking, just new to processing for a competition (though I am trying to be a minimalist).

     

    Thank you,

     

    Stephen

  2. Long story short: considering entering a photo or two in a contest which does not allow dodging or burning.

     

    I am new to Lightroom, only downloading the trial version after my recent trip to the Philippines.

     

    The Fill Light and Recovery bars, which have proved quite useful in some situations seem a lot like dodging and burning; though are more like the levels adjustments in PS3 in my mind (which I am familiar with).

     

    I understand this is nitpicking, just new to processing for a competition (though I am trying to be a minimalist).

     

    Thank you,

     

    Stephen

     

     

    I assume you ment photoshop CS3. The recovery sliders helps bring back details in highlights that are burned out. I would not equate it to a levels adjustment.

     

    The fill light lightens the shadows and trys to bring back detail in the shadows. Just be aware that this can bring in some noise. I think that the Shadow/Highlight adjustment in photoshop is the closest thing to the fill light. I don't know if you are familiar with that function.

     

    Kirk

  3. Yes, my apologies - I meant is as CS3.

     

    And thanks for the response. I believe this counts as a tonal adjustment and not a dodge/burn...

     

    Hopefully I will not have a problem using the Fill Light slider a modest amount!

  4. Yes, my apologies - I meant is as CS3.

     

    And thanks for the response. I believe this counts as a tonal adjustment and not a dodge/burn...

     

    Hopefully I will not have a problem using the Fill Light slider a modest amount!

     

     

    ive never enter a photocontest, but i would not consider the fill or recover slider the same thing as dodge and burn

     

    kirk

  5. Burning and dodging are selective (or local) adjustments to an image, while the Fill and Recovery sliders are 'Global' adjustments. Global adjustments maintain the relative relationship of the tones throughout the image. Burning and dodging can alter those relationships, and some contests want more ethical purity in this regard. I would say that any global corrections should be acceptable. Just my opinion. (for what it's worth)

  6. I use LR a lot and would suggest that the Adjustment Brush is pretty close to the old dodge and burn technique. It is possible to use it to make very effective and very localised adjustments.

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.