Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Utila mystery fish

Started by cloustalot ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Utila mystery fish

4 posts
  1. Passed on to me for ID - but I can't find it on fishbase. Anyone? Taken in Utila.

     

    mysteryfish.jpg

  2. It is hard to be very confident about anything with the poor quality of the image. But my best guess is a goby of some sort. Perhaps Gobiodon sp.

  3. All I know is that they guy was snorkeling in a lagoon on Utila and saw this fish. Not sure of the size but I would think the color is somewhat close to accurate.

  4. Ohh wait, I somehow missed this before - Utila is in the Caribbean - No gobiodons in the Caribbean.

     

    The caribbean actually makes it a lot easier as there are far fewer choices....Check out:

     

    Lophogobius cyprinoides

    http://fishbase.org/Summary/speciesSummary...ame=cyprinoides

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.