Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Orange anemones or corals

Started by Seewolf ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Orange anemones or corals

3 posts
  1. I found these two intense orange colored species in Cuba (Bay of Pigs) in March 2009. The first one could be a coral, but the color does not fit anything I found in books. The color looks almost fluorescent orange:

    http://www.reefcolors.de/Galleries/2009_Pl...4_34_large.html

    The second one is something completely different, only the color is similar. Looks somehow like a corallimorph, but they are green or blue, this one is orange.

    Any help?

    post-20317-1242859210.jpg

    post-20317-1242859272.jpg

  2. The first is a Coralmorphian: Discosoma sp

    The second is a Stony Coral: Montastrea cavernosa

    Edited by acroporas
  3. The first is a Coralmorphian: Discosoma sp

    The second is a Stony Coral: Montastrea cavernosa

     

    Thank you very much! Corallimorph and some kind of coral was my guess, but I was not aware about this color variation. Now I read in Humann's book that the Great Star Coral indeed sometimes fluoresces red or orange. I am amazed how fast this forum helps, great!

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.