Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Unable to open D90 NEF from Capture NX2

Started by CADiver ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Unable to open D90 NEF from Capture NX2

8 posts
  1. After paying hard earn cash on a box of Capture NX2, I thought it will open D90's NEF raw file but it gave me a "cannot load .... .NEF" blah blah !

    What's happening ? Brand new purchase software but won't open D90 RAW. I am not very happy at the moment ...

    The thumbnail does show the image in file explora instead of NX, so I think at least it reconize it whereas with NX, it won't, it just show a big NX instead. I think may be missing some setup steps ?

     

    Any ideas ?

    Thank you !

    Edited by CADiver
  2. After paying hard earn cash on a box of Capture NX2, I thought it will open D90's NEF raw file but it gave me a "cannot load .... .NEF" blah blah !

    What's happening ? Brand new purchase software but won't open D90 RAW. I am not very happy at the moment ...

    The thumbnail does show the image in file explora instead of NX, so I think at least it reconize it whereas with NX, it won't, it just show a big NX instead. I think may be missing some setup steps ?

     

    Any ideas ?

    Thank you !

     

    OK, never mind found the solution. Have to upgrade to Capture NX2.2 http://support.nikontech.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16400

    & run the update S-CNX2__-220WF-NSAEN.exe

     

    Now I can open D90 NEF ... whew ...

  3. Imagine the ones who bought Nikon Capture NX or, even worst, the original Nikon Capture.

     

    Nikon is not making upgrades so the software is useless.

     

    This is a important issue when one consider to buy a Nikon software...

  4. Nikon is not making upgrades so the software is useless.

     

    This is a important issue when one consider to buy a Nikon software...

     

    I think your claim that the software is useless is without merit. It is entirely possible that the box of Capture NX2 that CADiver bought had been sitting on the shelf and, therefore, had not been updated to allow use of NEF files from the D90. Nikon can't possibly include on their disk all the cameras that were not even in existence at the time the disk was made! That's why they have different versions of the software which are easily and quickly updated to be able to use the NEF files of the latest cameras.

     

    If CADiver had purchased the software and downloaded it, rather than using a disk to install it on his computer, I imagine he would not have had the problem he did. The downloaded product is more up to date than a boxed version containing a disk.

     

    I use Capture NX2 to do virtually all the post processing on my images. It is a very powerful software and well worth purchasing for those using Nikon cameras.

     

    OK, never mind found the solution.

    Now I can open D90 NEF ... whew ...

     

    Glad to hear you were finally able to open your D90 NEF files :) You will love using NX2. There is a book I highly recommend that just came out. It's Nikon Capture NX2 - After the Shoot by Mike Hagen. Very useful to help you get the most out of the software.

     

     

    Ellen

  5. I think your claim that the software is useless is without merit. It is entirely possible that the box of Capture NX2 that CADiver bought had been sitting on the shelf and, therefore, had not been updated to allow use of NEF files from the D90. Nikon can't possibly include on their disk all the cameras that were not even in existence at the time the disk was made! That's why they have different versions of the software which are easily and quickly updated to be able to use the NEF files of the latest cameras.

     

    If CADiver had purchased the software and downloaded it, rather than using a disk to install it on his computer, I imagine he would not have had the problem he did. The downloaded product is more up to date than a boxed version containing a disk.

     

    I use Capture NX2 to do virtually all the post processing on my images. It is a very powerful software and well worth purchasing for those using Nikon cameras.

     

     

     

    Glad to hear you were finally able to open your D90 NEF files :) You will love using NX2. There is a book I highly recommend that just came out. It's Nikon Capture NX2 - After the Shoot by Mike Hagen. Very useful to help you get the most out of the software.

     

     

    Ellen

     

     

    Let me add a few more notes to this.

    I have been using Capture NX for a few years, it's generally my step 1 of post processing, then move to CS3 for the rest ...

    When I first bought the D90 (from BH), there is a Capture NX2 disk and I install and try to play w/ trial. It doesn't run at all & I think I posted a msg a few months back but no useful reply. Knowing I like to use Nikon software to open Nikon raw, I decided it's ok to BUY a real copy of the NX2. So bought it from Amazon, I didn't buy direct from Nikon cause I think I like to see a hardcopy manual and have a CD. It could be just the NX2 is an old stock or whatever (I doubt they every made a 2.2 package). But the real frustration was upon installation and the first checks for update, it didn't install the 2.2 and also no where in Nikon site I was able to find any updates about 2.2 (at least I didn't find it). After posting here, I spent another 1/2 hr google, that's where I found about 2.2. I had then restarted NX2 and that's when the update checks & ask me to install 2.2. Long story short, I just think their updates notification and their web site can improve to give better user experience.

     

    Cheers !

    Dominic

  6. I think your claim that the software is useless is without merit.

     

    Ellen

     

    Hello Ellen,

     

    you have not read all my post... please do it.

     

    I do repeat : the software Nikon Capture 4 and the software Nikon Capture NX is useless with the new Nikon D90.

     

    The owners of this previous versions of Nikon Capture now have to buy the new NX2 version if they buy the new D90 and want to open NEF files from it. Being so the Capture NX is useless.

     

    If you know that it is possible to open NEF files from D90 on Capture NX please inform us. Nikon allready informed that it is not possible do do so. But if you find a way I'll be thankfull.

     

     

    Projecting this software politics into the future: in one year or two, with the release of new Nikon cameras, the version NX2 will probably be useless too because you'll need to buy a NX3 version to open the new NEF files...

     

    I'm not saying Nikon Capture (being version 4, NX or NX2) is or is not a good software. That´s not my point. It's Nikon's upgrades policy I'm talking about.

    Edited by Carlos Morais
  7. Hello Ellen,

    you have not read all my post... please do it.

     

    Hi Carlos,

     

    I indeed carefully read all of your post.

     

    I do repeat : the software Nikon Capture 4 and the software Nikon Capture NX is useless with the new Nikon D90.

     

    What you actually meant to say, which is now very clear to me, was not apparent in your first post. You did not even mention the D90 camera in your first post. If you had mentioned it, I think I would have understood exactly what you were objecting to. I now understand that if you own the D90, you need to purchase NX2 to be able to do post processing of the NEF files.

     

    I'm not saying Nikon Capture (being version 4, NX or NX2) is or is not a good software. That´s not my point. It's Nikon's upgrades policy I'm talking about.

     

    Thanks for the clarification.

     

    Cheers,

     

    Ellen

  8. To be fair, this is not a problem exclusive to Nikon.

    Every camera maker changes their own RAW format whenever they release a new camera, with the result that software will always be playing catch up.

     

    There does not seem to be any way round this, until everyone can agree to a common format. (DNG perhaps?)

     

    Given the recent HD-DVD and Blu-Ray fiasco I would not hold my breath waiting for this to happen.

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.