Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Canon 40D + Canon 60mm EF-S + teleconverter?

Started by blueline ·

  • 16Posts
  • 16Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon 40D + Canon 60mm EF-S + teleconverter?

16 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    Any teleconverter recommendations for a Canon 40D + Canon 60mm EF-S lens? Still not sure whether i.e a Kenco MC7 will autofocus (I don't have a manual focus ring) with the EF-S 60mm lens ? From what I gathered by reading here is that I'd need a Canon Ext tube EF 12 + a 2X teleconverter to use auto focus, otherwise just by using the 60EF-S + Kenco Teleconverter, It will not auto focus. Any ideas? I am just looking to get better that 1:1 magnification from the 60 EF-S.

     

    I use NX compact Macro Port base and the compact macro port S 35. I think it's got enough space to accommodate a 2X teleconverter, but not sure if it will fit an extra ext tube(if auto focus not achieved just with lens and teleconverter alone)?.

     

    Any other alternatives with the 60mm EF-S to get better magnification?

     

    Thanks,

    Blueline.

  2. you cant put a tele straight on a EF-S Lens, as the EF-S Mount will not fit with a Tele. You can connect Kenko Teleconverters only to EF lenses.

     

    I don't know if it would work with an extension.

     

    serge

  3. Serge is correct, and using an extension tube is less than idea due to the additional loss of light.

     

    you can use a woody's wet diopter, although many Canon users switch to the canon 100mm lens to get greater than 1:1

     

    there's also a very long thread on wetpixel you can search for, on getting greater than 1:1

     

    Scott

  4. According to ReefNet their Subsee Adapter will get you 1.5:1

  5. I like the idea of using a wet diopter too, but sometimes (like wanting to use the 60 mm on the 5D) you can make this work. On a 40D and 5D, the 60 mm focuses fine with the Canon 12 mm extension ring and the Tamron 1.4 tele. It also works with the Kenko 1.4 but has a really hard time focusing with a Kenko 2.0. I use this in CA for shooting nudis and the results are fine. As for light loss and focusing, you need a good focus light but most people have them anyway.

     

    IN any case, it works fine. As for the Subsea, I would wait a bit since Keri is making newer better ones.

    Bill

  6. I like the idea of using a wet diopter too, but sometimes (like wanting to use the 60 mm on the 5D) you can make this work. On a 40D and 5D, the 60 mm focuses fine with the Canon 12 mm extension ring and the Tamron 1.4 tele. It also works with the Kenko 1.4 but has a really hard time focusing with a Kenko 2.0. I use this in CA for shooting nudis and the results are fine. As for light loss and focusing, you need a good focus light but most people have them anyway.

     

    IN any case, it works fine. As for the Subsea, I would wait a bit since Keri is making newer better ones.

    Bill

     

    That's what I read elsewhere that to have a teleconverter work with the 60mm EF-S, I'd need an extension ring. I might just go with that+tele(fairly inexpensive, plus it might fit my current port S35+macro port base). Planning a trip to the Keys for 4th of July.

     

    My strobe has a focus light (Inon D-2000W) but planning to buy a dedicated focus light too. One thing at a time. :)

     

    Which one would you go for, Tamron or Kenko?

     

    Thanks for the info.

  7. The tamron sp-pro 1.4x and the kenko teleplus pro 1.4x are the same glass, just rebranded, and different colors.

     

    just make sure you are getting the "pro" and not the cheaper 1.4x

     

    Scott

  8. The tamron sp-pro 1.4x and the kenko teleplus pro 1.4x are the same glass, just rebranded, and different colors.

     

    just make sure you are getting the "pro" and not the cheaper 1.4x

     

    Scott

     

     

    >>"Tamron 1.4x SP Pro Teleconverter for Canon EOS"

    >>"The SP AF PRO-series teleconverters, with a re-designed optical construction (4-group/5-element for 1.4X and 4-group/7-element for 2X), are designed to be used with lenses that are F/2.8 and of focal lengths of 90mm or greater."

     

    Does the focal length need to be 90mm or greater? Sorry, just want to make sure it will work with the EF-S 60mm.

  9. >>"Tamron 1.4x SP Pro Teleconverter for Canon EOS"

    >>"The SP AF PRO-series teleconverters, with a re-designed optical construction (4-group/5-element for 1.4X and 4-group/7-element for 2X), are designed to be used with lenses that are F/2.8 and of focal lengths of 90mm or greater."

     

    Does the focal length need to be 90mm or greater? Sorry, just want to make sure it will work with the EF-S 60mm.

    It works fine on the 60, once you have added the extension ring. As discussed earlier, there is no TC (that I know of) that can attach to the 60 mm lens.

    BVA

  10. Hi,

    Sorry to hijack the thread but it would be a shame to start a new one for a very similar question. I am also interested in getting a bit more macro from my existing Canon 60mm ef-s. I know in a perfect world that the best solution would be to go out any buy a 100mm EF. My problem is usually I have to dive in relatively poor viz and only whilst on holiday with my family. So weight and minimum working distance are important factors. I am quite happy with my existing 60mm and Woody dioptre that I currently have on my 50D, but occasionally for very small subjects and skittish creatures having a slightly larger working distance or more magnification would be an asset. It would appear that the Canon 12mm extension ring and the Kenko/Tamron 1.4 TC Pro work. So to questions;

    • What is the maximum focusing distance with this set up?.
    • Also what is the overall length, ideally it would be nice to have a single flat port for my Ikelite system, for both the 60mm in standard mode and the 60mm with the extension ring and TC. Anybody know if there is a single Ikelite port that would house both of these configurations.

     

    Thanks,

    Michelangelo

  11. Hi,

    Sorry to hijack the thread but it would be a shame to start a new one for a very similar question. I am also interested in getting a bit more macro from my existing Canon 60mm ef-s. I know in a perfect world that the best solution would be to go out any buy a 100mm EF. My problem is usually I have to dive in relatively poor viz and only whilst on holiday with my family. So weight and minimum working distance are important factors. I am quite happy with my existing 60mm and Woody dioptre that I currently have on my 50D, but occasionally for very small subjects and skittish creatures having a slightly larger working distance or more magnification would be an asset. It would appear that the Canon 12mm extension ring and the Kenko/Tamron 1.4 TC Pro work. So to questions;

    • What is the maximum focusing distance with this set up?.
    • Also what is the overall length, ideally it would be nice to have a single flat port for my Ikelite system, for both the 60mm in standard mode and the 60mm with the extension ring and TC. Anybody know if there is a single Ikelite port that would house both of these configurations.

     

    Thanks,

    Michelangelo

     

    I've used the Kenko 1.4x TC and Canon 12 Ext tube(doesn't mount on the camera without it) and have had some decent results. I'm new to this setup(see my profile for pics) but max focus distance is about 15-17 inches(can't say for sure). You need to get close with this lens(you don't get much backscatter either).

    The lens + TC + Ext tube will fit in the NX Compact Macro base + Compact Port S35(don't know about Ikelite ports but I think it's around 4.5 inches.) Lens sits very close to port glass. You lose infinity with the TC.

     

    Blueline

  12. Hi,

    Sorry to hijack the thread but it would be a shame to start a new one for a very similar question. I am also interested in getting a bit more macro from my existing Canon 60mm ef-s. I know in a perfect world that the best solution would be to go out any buy a 100mm EF. My problem is usually I have to dive in relatively poor viz and only whilst on holiday with my family. So weight and minimum working distance are important factors. I am quite happy with my existing 60mm and Woody dioptre that I currently have on my 50D, but occasionally for very small subjects and skittish creatures having a slightly larger working distance or more magnification would be an asset. It would appear that the Canon 12mm extension ring and the Kenko/Tamron 1.4 TC Pro work. So to questions;

    • What is the maximum focusing distance with this set up?.
    • Also what is the overall length, ideally it would be nice to have a single flat port for my Ikelite system, for both the 60mm in standard mode and the 60mm with the extension ring and TC. Anybody know if there is a single Ikelite port that would house both of these configurations.

     

    Thanks,

    Michelangelo

    Well you certainly won't get any more macro from the 100 if your ports are the right ones, both lenses do 1:1. You do get more magnification and with a wet diopter your increase will be more with the 100 than with the 60. The problem with a single port and no extension rings is that without the tele your lens will be a bit far from the port so your magnification will be less since you will be further away.

     

    Bill

  13. Thanks for the replies. Could anybody be a bit more precise for the overall length has anybody put the setup on Ikelite system ? If the 4.5 " is correct then it will fit behind a 5505.5 flat port. Any help on this would be much appreciated I am not realy in a position do any experimenting with the ports.

     

    Michelangelo

  14. Hi!

    I have canon Rebel xti with Canon 60mm macro EFS lens.....my question is...What i need to use a Kenko TC 1.4?....a Canon extensión tube 12mm EF?......because I cant use just Kenko + 60mm EFS correct?

     

    Thanks

  15. Hi!

    I have canon Rebel xti with Canon 60mm macro EFS lens.....my question is...What i need to use a Kenko TC 1.4?....a Canon extensión tube 12mm EF?......because I cant use just Kenko + 60mm EFS correct?

     

    Thanks

    Why are you posting the same question in multiple threads..........your question has been answered already!

  16. I've shot often with a 40d, Canon 60mm and a Canon 12mm extension tube.

     

    You lose the ability to shoot at distance, but so what when you're after supermacro?

     

    Also you work with very small depth of fields but you can use this, like for bokeh. Have a look on my site (link below) for my shot of a triple fin blenny with just the eyes in focus and a lovely pink bokeh surrounding- it's one of my favorite and successful shots and was made with the same gear as you have plus a relatively cheap add-on.

     

    It took a lot of work though, the autofocus was having a really hard time locking in- very frustrating as it hunted forward and backwards while the shot was framed and ready to go, but the results speak for themselves.

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.