Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

32bit Cardbus Adapter

Started by james ·

  • 17Posts
  • 17Replies

Read-only discussion

32bit Cardbus Adapter

17 posts
  1. This is the one Eric and I would like to have. Not imported to the US.

  2. So we need someone in Japan to order them. I think Chris Bangs lives there...or goes there often. Maybe we can ask him to pick up a couple.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. Yes I live in Japan most of the time but I spend the winter on Guam! I hate snow!

     

    James contacted me regarding the new reader and I have found several sources. The end cost may be around $60 including the shipping to the USA BUT not including any fees paid to greedy government Duty tax collectors on your side.

     

    I can get em for you but you may want to wait a month or so as they should be available worldwide soon at a much lower price.

     

    Anybody have a idea as to how a USB 2.0 reader compares is speed?

     

    Chris Bangs

     

    My S 2 is in the mail! WooHoo!

  4. I believe that the flash cards themselves limit performance for USB 2 and firewire. Should be the same for Cardbus. The advantage of cardbus is that the adapter stays inside the computer so it travels better. Typical PC Card readers and USB 1 are noticably slower. I have a USB 2 reader and it seems about 2-3 times faster than USB 1.

  5. I don't think you ever had a reply to the query about the adaptor on the Japanese website, or the exchange rate.

     

    Clicking on the item I think you're referring to ("Hi-speed 32 bit Cardbus Adaptor (CF32A), CF Card / Micro Drive compatible), the following page does apparently say the price purchased direct is Yen 5,400, which would be about US$46 (at US$1=Y116), presumably exclusive of charges for shipping outside Japan.

     

    Robert Delfs

  6. Its much easier if you go to the green section on the left and click on "IN english" :lol:

  7. I can check and see if CompMart has it tomorrow, if you like. I'll be in Japan til Friday or so...usually come here every other month or so on bidness...

  8. The card is now showing up at major retailors.

     

    Map Camera in Shinjuku now lists it

     

    I have included the link below, they are located very close to Yodobashi Camera and Sakuraya camera (nishi Shinjuku) west exit from Shinjuku Station. One of these shops is sure to Have it! If you are in that area there is a VERY good underwater camera shop called "Answer" ultimate toyland which also stocks lots of hard to find spare parts and oring kits for Sea and Sea, Nikon, Inon, Ect. The shop is located very close (less than 100 M) to Yodobasi,Map and Sakuraya Camera.

     

    http://www.mapcamera.com/english/inquiry.php

     

    The manufacturer has stated that it is for "Japan only" and will not sell it internationaly.

     

    This is not uncommon, And you wonder why the Japanese economy stinks! I am sure the Chinese will pick up on this and make a cheap copy in the near future for the international market.

     

    Chris

  9. Anyone understand the limited international appeal? :lol:

  10. I'm working my Japan connection right now. She is ordering them online and will ship them to me when they get to her. I ordered five. If there is more demand here on wetpixel, maybe I can get some more shipped out...

  11. Yeah. I am using the one I posted about -- same one, but differently branded. I think delkin OEMs the aska.

     

    Well worth the money. :)

  12. CardBus transfer rates are, theoretically, up to 132MB a second. Actual transfer rates for the CardBus CompactFlash Adapter will depend on the CompactFlash cards controller speed. Customers with high-speed CF cards, such as the eFilm PRO, will notice a significant speed difference when downloading files, compared with a standard PC Card adapter. However, customers with slower CF cards may not notice any difference at all.  

     

    Eric, have you noticed a significant difference in speed?

  13. dpreview claims 4x speed increase. it's at least that -- about the same speed, or faster, than my firewire reader. :)

     

    no more waiting!!

  14. That is all I needed to hear. Mine is on the way.

  15. I just received the Delkin 32 bit adapter. WOW! I just downloaded 54 RAW images with the new adapter in 3:02. I reloaded the same images with the old 16 bit adapter and it took 10:04. This is using a Lexar 40x card. If you figure 25 dives on my upcoming trip x 7:00 minutes = 175 minutes, and I value my time at ......................

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.