Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Oops, bought DX-30/60

Started by Rattus ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

Oops, bought DX-30/60

12 posts
  1. :)

     

    My Sea & Sea housing should arrive early next week, At 650 quid (UK), and the threat of "while stocks last", which might mean the first signs of discontinuing the housing, I couldn't hold out any longer.

     

    Obviously when you figure in the full size fisheye port and VAT it still stings somewhat, but on the whole I'm chuffed.

     

    I'm really looking forward to being able to shoot with the D30 underwater. I hope to use my crappy EF 22-55mm on AF for a while, to learn on, before going for a 15mm fisheye or the 17-40mm L.

     

    WA is more important to me than macro to start with.

     

    Thanks for the advice on lenses, people's input helped me think about what it is a I need. Hopefully I'll have some images to share in the near future.

     

    Cheers

     

    Rattus (Martyn)

  2. Hi Martyn,

     

    Great to have another digital convert in the UK. That's a great price on the housing - I guess the strong exchange rate at the moment is a big help on UK prices.

     

    If you are shooting abroad then you can get a lot of nice shots on digital using filters and available light. Means you don't have to buy flash guns immediately (if you don't already have some). Check out Craig's article on the subject under "Features" on Wetpixel.

     

    Personally I'd favour the Fisheye over the 17-40mm. Just because if you like wide angle then the wider the better. On my DSLR I fnd that the fisheye is still not wide enough! Of course the 17-40mm is a much more flexible lens - and if you want that flexibility then you should favour the zoom.

     

    Alex

  3. Hi Alex,

     

    I've been thinking very much along the lines you mentioned. Most of our "pretty" diving has been in the Red Sea and we're hoping to go back to Sharm later this year, so available light is quite abundant. My prior underwater experience is with shooting digital video, and most of that has been available light with a bit of HID for fill (and for night dives).

     

    I'm leaning towards the fisheye, esp having seen so many great images from it on Eric's site.

     

    Thanks for the advice Alex, I'm really feeling my here and every little helps, especially when trying to piece together a setup that'll help me learn, without closing any doors. I jumped at his point as a figured that the window of oportunity might be closing for housing the D30/D60.

     

    Cheers

     

    Martyn

  4. Dosen't Cannon make a 16 - 40 lens? That sounds like a good combo.

  5. They do a 16-35mm f/2.8 and a 17-40mm f/4.0. Go on guess which one is twice the price of the other :)

     

    Hey ho, I think I'll go for the prime diagonal fisheye, as it apparently has a greater view angle than a 15mm rectilinear.

     

    Martyn

  6. That's a great price on the housing - I guess the strong exchange rate at the moment is a big help on UK prices.

    Erhm... Did I get that right?

     

    650 Britisch Pounds = 924.622 Euro ?

    Where the hell, did you buy that housing?

    I might get one for spare :)

     

    Andi

  7. Hi Andy,

     

    You read correct, 650 UKP for the housing (no port). Thats the price before adding VAT.

     

    I've ordered it from Robert White

     

    http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/underwatersea...htm#LabelCCFHou

     

    Mine should arrive tomorrow, then it's time to book some pool sessions!

     

    Cheers

     

    Martyn

  8. Wow

  9. Damn, I thought I got a good price, but it was nowhere near that. That's even below the dealer price from what I know. S&S must be trying to offload all the D60 housings or something....

     

    Good job!

  10. Woo hoo!

     

    The housing and the port arrived this morning, so I've assembled it and had a bit of a play, but without flooding the office there's not much more I can do for now.

     

    The build quality is superb, and every major control is available.

     

    I'm well chuffed!

     

    Martyn :rolleyes:

  11. Congrats Martyn, it's a great housing. What port and lens are you starting with?

  12. Cheers Tom,

     

    I got the large fisheye dome port, and I'm now trying to find some neoprene to make a cover for it - I need to make one for my Ikelite video housing too, so I think DIY is a good plan.

     

    As for which lens, I'll use my 22-55mm on AF until I'm happy enough to buy a 15mm fisheye or similar. I've been impressed by Eric's pictures taken with that lens.

     

    Other projects include adapting my greenforce HID holder/diffuser that I use for video to work with the D30 and sorting out available light filtration for the front of my temporary lens. That and loads of practise.

     

    Regards

     

    Martyn

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.