This use to be a secret program offered only at tech support service sometimes but I do think people should take advantage of their dead electronics.
Basically if you have an old dead Canon P&S (eg drowned in housing accident but anything that isn't worth fixing is eligible), Canon's trade up program allows you to replace the unit with a refurb/new model, and also upgrade to better P&S models.
I traded my drowned S70 for a G9 5 mths ago for $275 + tax/shipping. There is a fixed chart where your model can only trade in/up for certain other models so it's not a free for all program but it is cheaper than buying retail and best of all, Canon recycles the products (ok we don't know where they send it to recycle but at least they say they are doing it).
This program is for the US only: The number to call is : 1-800-828-4040 for tech support. The camera HAS to be CANON and dead!
I know that in Singapore, Thailand and Hong Kong, they also have a similar program called Privilege Purchase, also only available at the Customer Service support. I have to assume this program is international and may vary with different regions. Just try calling your service center (try different people as some employees are often more knowledgeable than others
).
Anyone know of other brands which do this sort of program?