Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Ambient light questions for Oly-5050

Started by fuzz ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Ambient light questions for Oly-5050

11 posts
  1. Do I need to use any special filters with my camera/housing to correct for lack of strobes?

     

    :)

  2. Yes. You should use a UR Pro CY or GR filter depending on the type of water you have. A Hoya FL-D or Tiffen FL-B are good choices, too. I usually recommend a Singh-Ray FL-B but apparently they've become unavailable.

     

    You need a 67mm threaded filter assuming you're using a PT-015.

  3. I appreciate your help Craig, but you're at a level way above my head - I'm still a newb. :)

     

    I dive in either the murky waters of Northern Cal. or in Hawaii. What lenses should I use for those?

     

    Just a good overall reccomendation for each locale would be great - having choices confuses me :(

  4. For green water, use a UR Pro GR or a Hoya FL-D. For blue water use a UR Pro CY or a Tiffen FL-B. Think of the UR Pro as the name brand and the others as generics. The are functionally the same.

     

    For the CA diving is suspect you'll want the GR filter. For Hawaii probably the CY filter.

  5. I'd back Craig up by saying that filter photography can be simpler than using flash and can make a great place to get started underwater. Once you understand the filter rules you end up with a camera that is just like shooting on land.

    Alex

  6. I got a email back from Singh-Ray the other day.. (finally after much waiting)

     

    Their 67mm FL-B is available.. Screws straight onto the PT015

     

    Dave B)

  7. Singh-Ray ??? :rolleyes:

  8. Singh-Ray ???   :rolleyes:

    Another manufacturer like Hoya and Tiffen. I like the Singh-Ray FL-B best of the FL-B filters. Tiffen is the only other manufacturer of round FL-B's.

  9. Thanks for all the great help! Where's a good place to buy these filters?

     

    & could somebody please answer my wheezing lense thread? :rolleyes: Worried about having to get it fixed.

  10. I like B&H. It's easy to find what you're looking for there. Hopefully you can use them.

  11. Awesome Craig, thanks for all the assistance, I really appreciate you taking care of us newbs :rolleyes:

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.