Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Noob needs a litle advice

Started by tommy2tone_1999 ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Noob needs a litle advice

4 posts
  1. I read on a couple forums that some put a small piece of Alka-Seltzer into their housing before they seal it, so that if a leak occurs, it will fizz, and the gas generated will provide positive pressure to stop the leak. It seems to me that if you increase the internal pressure of the housing too much that it will blow wide open upon assent. Has anyone tried this?

  2. I would say learn to seal your housing properly and then you don't have to worry. I know that sounds like a smart remark, but its not. Learn how your housing seals/closes and make sure you do it right. Leaks happen, but 99% are preventable.

  3. Since there is a leak for the air to go out of, I shouldn't worry about that. Also, your house is made out of fairly sturdy stuff. I have some doubts about the explosive power of a single Alka-Seltzer. In fact, I doubt if a piece would generate anywhere near enough CO2 to keep your camera safe.

  4. The seals are designed for outside pressure pushing in. IF (large IF) an aklaz. generated enough pressure to overcome the outside pressure, it might have enough pressure to move O-rings the wrong direction and subsequently make a worse leak after the aklaz is gone.

    Thus the recommendation to NOT seal your devices when traveling via plane where outside pressure would be lower than inside pressure of the housing and move O-rings to undesired locations.

     

    You can use 1/4 of an aklaz. plus some water to make an alka rocket and make a sealed 35mm film cannister lauch about 30 feet. Its fun with children but I do not want it in my housings.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.