Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Canon 5D Mark II video

Started by StephenFrink ·

  • 14Posts
  • 14Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon 5D Mark II video

14 posts
  1. Here is a link to the 5D Mark II video I shot last week on Snapper Ledge, specifically to test manual exposure control with the new firmware upgrade. Notice brackets from underexposure to overexposure, on the fly while rolling.

     

    Very powerful technology. I look forward to some video captures next week with great white sharks in South Australia.

     

     

    Thanks to Frazier Nivens, http://www.oceanimaging.com, for the editing and vimeo upload.

    Stephen

    --

    Stephen Frink

    SF@StephenFrink.com

    Visit my new website at http://www.stephenfrinkphoto.com

    Edited by Drew
  2. Very cool. But just when I convinced myself to wait before upgrading you had to post this! This is going to take some self control. This technology is super exciting to me for both above and below water shooting. Thanks for posting.

  3. Thanks Stephen. Did you expose with the meter in camera or judged from the LCD monitor? Goes to show that Trammel's firmware for AGC and zebra are desperately needed for accurate exposure for video.

  4. did you use a red filter?

  5. Thanks Stephen. Did you expose with the meter in camera or judged from the LCD monitor? Goes to show that Trammel's firmware for AGC and zebra are desperately needed for accurate exposure for video.

     

    Exposure judged from monitor, which seemed quite accurate actually, and then did the exaggerated over and under tweaks with the aperture control, just to test the firmware functionality.

     

    No color correction filter (no way to add threaded filter to 17mm tilt-shift anyway, and mostly I was shooting stills), but Frazier tweaked it some in post.

  6. No color correction filter

     

     

    How deep was this taken? (Also did you WB at all at depth?) Looks good....

  7. Very nice video, and certainly makes it look like this camera has more appeal for video with the firmware upgrade!

     

    Is that 17mm lens (for purposes of this video) significantly different than another 17mm lens (say the 17-40 or 16-35II @ 17mm)? IOW, should we attribute any great significance to your choice of lens, or did you just happen to still be experimenting with the tilt-shift lens?

  8. Very nice video, and certainly makes it look like this camera has more appeal for video with the firmware upgrade!

     

    Is that 17mm lens (for purposes of this video) significantly different than another 17mm lens (say the 17-40 or 16-35II @ 17mm)? IOW, should we attribute any great significance to your choice of lens, or did you just happen to still be experimenting with the tilt-shift lens?

     

    Bruce - That was just the lens that happened to be on the camera when I came across a video-esque scene and I remembered I should try out the firmware update. Was nice though. It isn't in the edited footage, but even the close focus was quite good. That lens doesn't AF and I didn't have a focus gear, so I had to guess focus by estimating the virtual image point on the superdome. I preset focus at 1.4 feet and used a PVL35.

     

    Pretty decent corners, especially compared to many of my earlier 17-40 experiments. Depth was only about 20-feet, which contributes to the good color, without lights or filtration. It was auto-white balance at the time.

  9. Why would he use a red filter? He's a professional.

  10. Well done.

    Would like the see the raw clips.

     

    I have been down loading, play editing and watching all kinds of clips from this camera on my laptop over the last weeks.

    It certainly puts out amazing quality

     

    If Nikon don't get there act together, looks like I will own a Cannon soon.

  11. If Nikon don't get there act together, looks like I will own a Cannon soon.

     

    And shortly thereafter, a new Mac also :)

  12. But why Drew.

    This thing here cuts it up easy!

  13. Well Wags you've waited this long... why not hang for Scarlet like the 1000's of other people...

  14. Dont hold it Wags... go for it.

    Its just paper with colour on it ;-)

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.