I tried searching on this topic but with no luck... I hope this isn't too much of a newbie question.
I took my D100 Subal housing under for the first time and it did great except for some reason the aperture/shutter controls did not work for me at depth (60-70ft). On the surface they worked just fine. I had to be in program mode the whole time rather then manual. Any thoughts on what would cause this? Perhaps its pressure-related? Thank you in advance!
-Andrew
I have a similar problem with my Sea & Sea housing for my D70.
I can decrease the aperture but not increase it!
Currently working on f16 and changing lighting power output on my strobes. I will be a bit miffed if I have the same problem when I pick up my D300 housing next month.
Andrew Yeo of Sea & Sea in Singapore suggested changing the gearing and gave me a new one but I fail to see how this could be the reason (I have not yet changed the gearing)
This can happen with a number of housings; it usually means that the camera is slightly misaligned, and the controls jam under pressure. I have one D200 body that works "properly", but another that needs a plastic strip (an old credit card) under the left side of the camera to make it work...
... also: try tightening up the mounting screws or bolts on the baseplate, in case it has moved slightly.
I had particular problems below 140' with a D70.
Tim
I see this from time-to-time here at KBR and Tim's advice is spot on. Its usually a misalignment of the camera in the housing. The increased water pressure at depth pushes on a control button sufficiently to block signals in the camera electronics.
Check the screw holding the camera to the mount as Tim suggests. And that the camera seems to be lined up properly.
Thanks for the tips guys, I will make up some thin shims and see how it goes
This type of misalignment is commonly caused by the on/off switch being in the incorrect position when the camera is first put into the housing.
It causes the camera to be pushed slighlty out of alignment and often is not seen when searching for this intermittent control problem.
Yes, be sure you turn the camera on before sliding it into the housing. Also align the other controls the same on the camera and the housing.
I owned a Subal D10. Never had this problem.
Thanks for the tip everyone! I'll give it another try and see what happens