Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Sigma 17-70 NON-HSM still available anywhere?

Started by tubino ·

  • 15Posts
  • 15Replies

Read-only discussion

Sigma 17-70 NON-HSM still available anywhere?

15 posts
  1. After reading what people are doing with this lens, I'd like to buy the Sigma 17-70 macro. The problem is that I am only finding the HSM version -- and the Ikelite chart says the HSM version is too wide to fit (but the other works with 5510.24 and 8" dome).

     

    Does anyone know a place to get the older non-HSM one? I want it for a trip, and I'm leaving Friday!

    Alternatives to 8" dome + 5510.24 extension?

     

    All comments welcome.

  2. After reading what people are doing with this lens, I'd like to buy the Sigma 17-70 macro. The problem is that I am only finding the HSM version -- and the Ikelite chart says the HSM version is too wide to fit (but the other works with 5510.24 and 8" dome).

     

    Does anyone know a place to get the older non-HSM one? I want it for a trip, and I'm leaving Friday!

    Alternatives to 8" dome + 5510.24 extension?

     

    All comments welcome.

     

    The pre HSM version of this lens has been out of production for almost 2 years (July 2007). I searched in for 6 months trying to find a non HSM version (new or used) of the 18-50 or 17-70.

     

    Even if you had one, do you have a zoom gear to fit it? Skip the stress and focus on your trip preps.

     

    Bob

  3. Thanks for the info. I didn't realize it had been OOP for that long.

     

    Even if you had one, do you have a zoom gear to fit it?

     

    I figured one of the Ikelite clamp/sleeve combos would fit -- but I don't know that.

     

    Skip the stress and focus on your trip preps.

     

    I think I'm not good at distinguishing between trip prep and stress. :) Seriously, in comparison to other trips I feel well prepared 5 days in advance. It's a strange feeling. I've already weighed luggage, made a little pack for o-rings and special tools, made tiny travel packs of sunscreen, shampoo... I think it's the difference between traveling solo vs. going with wife and kids...

     

    But I'd like to have some options for for narrower than 17mm. I guess I could try my cheap 18-55 Nikon with 5510.16 + dome...

    Edited by tubino
  4. Thanks for the info. I didn't realize it had been OOP for that long.

     

     

     

    I figured one of the Ikelite clamp/sleeve combos would fit -- but I don't know that.

     

     

     

    I think I'm not good at distinguishing between trip prep and stress. :) Seriously, in comparison to other trips I feel well prepared 5 days in advance. It's a strange feeling. I've already weighed luggage, made a little pack for o-rings and special tools, made tiny travel packs of sunscreen, shampoo... I think it's the difference between traveling solo vs. going with wife and kids...

     

    But I'd like to have some options for for narrower than 17mm. I guess I could try my cheap 18-55 Nikon with 5510.16 + dome...

    WELL, since you have lots of time on your hands, have your tried a teleconveter on either of your Tonkia lenses?

     

    Bob

  5. I'd look around on Nikonians for a used one. I'll swap mine for a D300 body... ;-)

     

    Jack

  6. Hi, by the look of it it seems that I will be able to get you this lens new for R 5000-00 plus shipping.

     

    Let me know if I must make sure of availability and which mount you are looking for.

     

    Regards.

    Geo

  7. WELL, since you have lots of time on your hands, have your tried a teleconveter on either of your Tonkia lenses?

     

    No, I haven't... and it seems a fun idea, but today I went out and bought a NIB Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4.0, so I'm going to work with that for this trip. Cost me $200 from a place that is closing up. 77mm filter size, so I can use the same +2 diopter I already have for the Tokina 11-16. I'm set for this trip now, lens-wise!

  8. No, I haven't... and it seems a fun idea, but today I went out and bought a NIB Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4.0, so I'm going to work with that for this trip. Cost me $200 from a place that is closing up. 77mm filter size, so I can use the same +2 diopter I already have for the Tokina 11-16. I'm set for this trip now, lens-wise!

     

    Acquiring stuff is so much fun! :angry: Do check out the Tok 10-17 with a 1.4 telly. I friend of mine used this in the Philippians this year with very mucky vis and got some great results. That “w/a macro” thingy.

     

     

     

    Good shooting & post some results.

     

    Bob

  9. I bought the HSM version of the Sigma 17-70 lens, in fact I delayed my purchase until it was available, so I must have got one of the first ones on the market. And I was really pleased with myself UNTIL I discovered that the diameter (or something) is different and I couldn't fit the Ikelite zoom clamp onto it. I sent emails with pics to B&H (where I bought it) and Ikelite, and heard nothing, sadly, but saw a while later the note on the Ikelite website about this lens not being suitable. However, I fixed it very easily - I stuck the thinner strips of foam padding supplied with the zom gear around the inside of the zoom gear, installed it just like that onto the lens while the lens was on the camera and already inside the housing, and then stabilised it all by inserting 4 wood matchsticks between the lens and the zoom gear (I just shove them in from the front, one every 90 degrees) and have been using it like that ever since without any trouble at all. I just keep spare matches on me as a lighter doesn't quite do it. :)

     

    Alistair

  10. The pre HSM version of this lens has been out of production for almost 2 years (July 2007). I searched in for 6 months trying to find a non HSM version (new or used) of the 18-50 or 17-70.

     

    Even if you had one, do you have a zoom gear to fit it? Skip the stress and focus on your trip preps.

     

    Bob

     

    The standard ikelite zoom gears work with the non-hsm 17-70 and no diopter is needed. I purchased a used non-hsm lens about a year ago on craigs list. You can also ye on flee-bay. It is a nice general purpose lens.

  11. I have been using a Nauticam zoom gear for the new OSM version on the old non-OSM version by using a bit of packing tape on the lens zoom grip to make the diameter wider. This has worked with no problem at all.

  12. I bought the HSM version of the Sigma 17-70 lens, in fact I delayed my purchase.........

    Alistair

     

    Brilliant! Your first post, and it has solved my problem. I will buy this lens now.

     

    By the way there's a third version just released - HSM OS.

     

    (I'm guessing that will be even fatter so may not fit in the Ikelite hole at all.) Edit: I'm wrong about this. Same diameter as the HSM - 79mm

    Edited by Panda
  13. Brilliant! Your first post, and it has solved my problem. I will buy this lens now.

     

    By the way there's a third version just released - HSM OS.

     

    (I'm guessing that will be even fatter so may not fit in the Ikelite hole at all.) Edit: I'm wrong about this. Same diameter as the HSM - 79mm

     

    I use the HSM 17-70 with the Ikelite D300 & 8" port. I posted about this in the past with some photos of my solution to the clamp problem. I used a velcro strap in place of the spring-clamp and that works perfectly. Do a search for the older post for more details.

     

    The lens is really nice, but tends to have soft edges at the wide end. Still, I've had great wide and macro shots with this setup.

     

    Dave

     

    17-70 Shot at 70mm:

    Wakatobi_Apr2010_196.jpg

  14. I use the HSM 17-70 with the Ikelite D300 & 8" port.....

     

    Excellent. Thanks Dave, found your velcro photos.

    Have you ever tried it with a 6" dome?

  15. Brilliant! Your first post, and it has solved my problem. I will buy this lens now.

     

    By the way there's a third version just released - HSM OS.

     

    (I'm guessing that will be even fatter so may not fit in the Ikelite hole at all.) Edit: I'm wrong about this. Same diameter as the HSM - 79mm

     

     

    All three 17-70 lenses list the diameter as 79mm but the non hsm gets smaller behind the front of the lens where the zoom gear and focus gear are.

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.